× For discussion of news and events happening around the world right now

Wuhan coronavirus

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #5420 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Wuhan coronavirus
Alcohol aisles stripped bare after Boris Johnson closes pubs in fight against coronavirus
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/21/alcohol-aisles-stripped-bare-boris-johnson-closes-pubs-fight-coronavirus-12435876/

Crowds leave city centres deserted but flock to Welsh landmarks in droves
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/crowds-leave-city-centres-deserted-17959202

:S
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Simomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5421 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Wuhan coronavirus
Wow confirmed shot up by 1000 in one day!
Simomax, you might as well get back into gaming.... Bed control centre, sniper elite
Thanks for posting the extra news, I have taken some time away from corona today to recoup some energy. (Tidied up a bit in the workshop and fired up 3d printer)
The next phase, apart from being shocked at numbers and deaths is to see how the shops restock, whether basic good get put back on shelves.
We import quite a lot of basic goods and the rest of europe is on lockdown...
Things could start getting insane if people actually cannot buy pasta or rice or toilet roll or alcohol for several weeks.
I suppose we will really find out how dependent we are on imports in practice, not just some percentage taken from a website.
What's interesting is that the deliveries are not really making it frequently enough to the supermarkets for them to restock enough. I read a report from someone that their supermarket had not seen a delivery for 3 days.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5422 by Simomax
No worries Dan. :)
My wife has told me that they should have had a delivery on Thursday. It didn't come. She was then told Friday. A delivery did come on Friday early evening nut was half of what should have been delivered. No bread and a few other things didn't come. She reckons that stuff is being prioritized for the bigger supermarkets. She told me that people were trying to take things literally out of the crates and cages (stuff is delivered in big cages on wheels. a bit like a pallet on wheels with cage walls) as it was being unloaded from the truck. It caused some havoc as the stuff has to be scanned and booked in before it can be sold via the tills. I'll find out what the alcohol situation is like tomorrow there.

There have been a few people praising BoJo for doing such a good job on FB etc. I commented on one post stating 'these numbers show how much of a good job he is doing' and posted my chart. The conversation stopped dead.

People are in denial. Young people think they are OK to get the virus as it won't affect them except for a bit of flu. The pubs close and the alcohol is all bought up at the supermarkets. We are heading for a full on disaster IMHO, Italy style. Shit is gonna get real for a lot of people soon I think. Better buckle up, or stay indoors! :blink:

Interesting article from Russia. 'Super-spreader' doctor looking at jail time! I don't think that would happen here though. Were too soft.
'Super-spreader' doctor faces jail after failing to declare holiday to coronavirus hotspot
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1258423/coronavirus-latest-russia-news-super-spreader-doctor-irina-sannikova

Fun times ahead! :woohoo:

More
4 years 1 month ago #5423 by mw0uzo
Three UK junior doctors are on ventilators after contracting coronavirus in hostpital
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139445/Three-junior-doctors-aged-30-catch-coronavirus-hospital-ventilators.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

More
4 years 1 month ago #5424 by mw0uzo
How contagious is this thing? We know already its highly contagious. But for an example, read this
Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #5425 by Simomax

How contagious is this thing? We know already its highly contagious. But for an example, read this
Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

From his tweet:

I did almost everything right. Worked at home. Saw one friend in the last 10 days. Had a beer for an hour outside a pub, either side of a big table. Fresh air, no contact. Washed my hands 3 times.
Still caught corona from him.

Alright lets look at what could have happened here....
He washed his hands 3 times at the pub. It doesn't say whether he used the pub facilities or a hand sanitizer. From his words I'm going to assume he used the pub facilities.
His friend started showing symptoms the day after they met.

So, he met his friend at the pub and they ordered a beer. Who handled the glasses? Did the bar staff bring them, did his friend, or did he. Did he go in the pub and spend time at the bar when ordering? I'm going to assume he ordered beer at the bar.

I'm going to make some assumptions as little is known about his actual steps. I am also going to theorize in his favour.
  • He meets his friend outside the pub. They keep distance
  • He goes inside the pub (if other people are present, virus in the air?)
  • He goes to wash his hands. Opens door (possible contamination)
  • He washes his hands. Touches tap (possible contamination)
  • He dries his hands using touch-free electric hand dryer (These suck in the air from around and shoot it onto your hands - if virus in the air this will concentrate it in a stream onto hands)
  • He goes out of the WC, opening door, touches handle?
  • He goes to bar, orders drink (does he touch the bar? possible contamination, was he near to other people? how far from bar tender?)
  • He pays (using contactless card, or paid with cash, and received change? Possible contamination from change)
  • He picks up glass, already handled by bar tender (unless bar tender washes hands after every customer, and wipes down all taps and the actual glass served, there is chance for contamination from previous customer served)
  • He goes out and sits with his friend at opposite ends. (table and chair been sanitized? I'll assume not. Unless it is a big table, they were probably say about 4-5 feet away, and when sat back, their faces would be about 6 foot away)
  • He drinks some beer
  • Half way through goes to wash hands again (same procedure as above. Did he order another beer at that time. Why would someone wash their hands if they just been sat there?)
  • He comes back out and sits down again. Again walking through the pub
  • He finishes his beer
  • He goes again to wash his hands, same as above (does he have a pee at all during this? His zipper on his trousers been touched many times, but i bet never cleaned between peeing intervals)
  • He goes home. Opens door(s) (touches handles, keys etc. Have door handles and his keys been sanitized? Does he live in a house or flats? Do other people touch the same door handles as him?
  • Some days later (within his 10 day period) gets COVID-19 symptoms, blames his mate

COVID-19 average incubation period is 4-5 days. It could be up to 14. The chances are he caught it from somewhere else, but for the sake of this we'll assume it was the pub trip where he caught it. As you can see there are loads of potential candidates for infection. Unless EVERYTHING you touch (where there is chance others' may also touch/breathe/cough) is sanitized before you touch it, there is a chance of infection. When you start to analyze action of people you can see the myriad of ways this can spread.

ETA: Did he touch his face at any time? I bet he did. Touched his phone? Cleaned his phone? What was the table and chairs made from, plastic, metal or wood? Loads of variables here.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Simomax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds