× For discussion of news and events happening around the world right now

Wuhan coronavirus

More
4 years 1 month ago #5006 by mw0uzo
Wuhan coronavirus was created by mw0uzo
Ok so it's got pretty bad at this point. China cities locked down, travel banned, hospitals swamped. All over China, isolated cases elsewhere around the world.
Whatever China do to contain it within cities and China itself will only slow it's worldwide progression, as it's potentially (and likely) spreading right now this very minute. There is a reasonable length incubation period where like a cold, the virus is spreading by air and touch contact. The reported cases, detections, news and deaths are days and weeks behind the actual spreading events themselves. Western government public reaction has typically been to prevent panic and play a wait and see what happens strategy. There have been no UK cases yet, but this seems to me like blind luck so far.

Dustmasks are sold out in stores where I live. I went to pick some up from a diy store here and they were all sold out, the central depot only had 4 individual boxes left. They started to sell out online 24 hours after that. I managed to get some lower rated masks as a top-up to what I have. Lower rated masks may well be effective even if the viron size is very very small, as the virons would be within droplets of fluid which are much larger. Of course the face seal must be good to prevent significant ingress of air along the edge of the mask. The virons will be in snotty residues on things like handles, so disposable gloves should help with that.
I went to get some bleach based cleaning products and stocks were low. Got some latex gloves ok, and already have some eye protection, should SHTF.

I know people on radmon.org are likely to prep for different things, I wonder what your thoughts are on all of this?

Some interesting questions assuming extra supplies cannot be obtained:

- Should masks become necessary and stock is limited. How to safely recycle these masks back into use? Externally they could potentially be contaminated. Rounds of bleach spray over days with some action time?
- Eye protection. Most simple eye protection with some sort of face seal has venting. Block the vents with epoxy? When to use?
- Use of gloves.
- How to stop habitual face scratching/touching, to prevent transfer of virus to face? This is hard!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radslug, Sonarflash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5007 by Sonarflash
Replied by Sonarflash on topic Wuhan coronavirus
I'm not going to worry too much. I hardly get out or encounter people closely. A recent study that should be noted shows that alcohol rinses such as are commonly in hospitals and clinics do nothing to prevent spread of cold viruses when on hands in snot or moisture droplets. All they do is cover and not destroy the virus, which is already protected by the mucus splattered on your skin. Best answer was washing hands with hot water and soap for at least 30 seconds. Good old tried and true.

This was announced a week past on a CBC radio program dealing with health research. Apparently the info comes from the USA, though I forget which government department. . Since I have a son who is a nurse and his wife a care giver in the same hospital, I mentioned the alcohol rinses, since they dry out skin and cause irritation. My daughter-in-law has already been using washing instead of the pump-rinses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radslug

More
4 years 1 month ago #5010 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Wuhan coronavirus
I saw a video with a doctor explaining about the facemasks. He said it was important the outside was waterproof, which makes sense, as any incoming snot vapours will stick to the mask and soak in. Then, when the mask dries, there may be free virons able to escape and get through the mask.
So it's not all simple...

Lots of people saying masks not worth the trouble. But I would say anything between your mouth/eyes/nose and someone else's aerosol cough rankness is going to be a good idea.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5011 by mw0uzo
Some data on confirmed cases etc:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

More
4 years 1 month ago #5012 by mw0uzo
Regularly updated stats in text format.
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

More
4 years 1 month ago #5015 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic Wuhan coronavirus
Yesterday I had to take my wife to hospital for a minor op. For the first time ever I was asked if I wanted as facemask. There were about 20-30 people in the waiting area and nobody else was wearing one, so I didn't either,

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 1.190 seconds