radmon.org testing new server!

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #945 by mw0uzo
I plan on using Ext4. Anything more exotic might restult in a data recovery nightmare if something goes wrong. This bit me when Ext4 came out and all my recovery tools only worked with Ext3. After that I stuck with Ext3 until it seemed the whole world had moved to Ext4, i.e. after debian stable got it! Which raises a side question, where the hell is Jessie?
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by mw0uzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #975 by mw0uzo
Not sure if I mentioned earlier but the main radmon server has been modded so that it is much quieter. The mods have been finalised now.

PSU - Fan gnd connected to 3.3V instead of 0V.
4 Case fans. These were 4 pin PWM ultra high speed type. Fitted 3.3V 1.3W zener in reverse in the 12V lead for each fan. The fans spin much much slower, but can also be spun up by the server when needed and still provide loads of airflow. The resistor mod method was not good, the fans were slow but did not ramp up when needed.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #988 by mw0uzo
The website may have seened a little slow yesterday evening and overnight. This may well continue into today - I am sftp'ing the entire system over to the new server. I should have just transferred an entire image, this is consuming all the CPU on the old, active server and taking ages as everything is encrypted! I will just have to leave it going and hope it completes properly.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by mw0uzo.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #991 by mw0uzo
Ugh, giving up on that. USB HDD time.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #992 by GandalfDerGraue
Hi Dan,

Just in case you did not already try but maybe rsync could be helpful? IIRC you did try sftp, right?

With rsync you could
1) limit the bandwidth to use, so the "productive" server won't be bothered, regardless how long sync would last
2) just transfer the different files, this means any files that already are transferred will never ever be transferred again until they changed
3) you can tunnel it over ssh, if you want you can also use ssh with resource-saving blowfish encryption

for example something like...
rsync -SPDHrave 'ssh -c blowfish' --bwlimit=5m root@sourcehost://[mysource_names] ./[mytarget_dirname]/
... would sync from sourcehost to a local directory with bandwidth limiting to 5 MiB/s where you mounted the target disk(s) or filesystems. Leave out "mysource_names" and it will transfer the whole filesystem.

With kind regards,
Wolfgang

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #993 by mw0uzo
Thanks for the info. I use rsync to back the server up across several drives. Not used it across the network yet.
I started the transfer in filezilla, x forwarded. Bad idea! Something, whether it was the encryption or the X forwarding made it get slower and slower until it virtually stopped :blink:
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by mw0uzo.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds