radmon.org testing new server!

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #812 by Frank
Thanks, was here all along, but on the old address that I had been on before this happened and was really lost not seeing anything posted on what was going on. Really thought the worse case had happened :ohmy: Then saw the posting from Mark and I just happen to click on that link and was like, wth, different address and I missed 4 days of replied and postings, damn! So glad to see everything online again and progress being made. You worked too hard to let them get the best of you and we are behind you !!!! :woohoo:
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by Frank. Reason: added info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #814 by mw0uzo
BAH! it fell over again this morning, another different reason. Main system HD failure? Filesystem went read-only. It rebooted ok and fsck fixed some errors, but boot will have to be moved to one of the backup drives. So this will be a good and neccessary test of the backups (looking on the bright side heh). So three of the four originally installed HDs (ST and Maxstor 300Gb era drives) are bad! System will be down for a little while today while I swap the drive for something else. This is probably a textbook example of how not to put together a server. :silly:

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #816 by mw0uzo
Well according to the system logs, it fell over for a reason not directly related to the backups at 4:50 this morning. The first backup completed and it was in idle time before the 2nd backup at 5am.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #817 by mw0uzo
Urgh got it going again

Procedure for getting backed up system drive to boot:

1. Put backup drive in bad system drives place
2. Replace backup drive
3. Fix grub
set prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
set root=(hd0,1)
insmod normal
normal
4. Enter recovery mode via grub menu
5. mount -o remount,rw /

6. Enter the magic command
chmod 755 /
to prevent sudo permissions error at boot. How long did it take to find this fix?!!

7. grub-install dev/sda
8. update-grub
9. reboot

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #820 by mw0uzo
Freezing today and reporting an occasional kernel memory paging error now. Removed a stick of RAM. Seems to be OK now. Wow, so many problems, I wonder what next? Ha, I think there was a good reason these parts were chucked in a box in the loft :lol:

All I need next is the mobo to have bad caps...

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #821 by James_Gy

All I need next is the mobo to have bad caps...

Don't tempt fate :unsure:

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds