The radmon.org radbox-20

More
8 years 9 months ago #1299 by bethsalem
Replied by bethsalem on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
I've been experiencing periodic drops in the cpm. This is down to TIWorker.exe on Win 8.1 using up to a third of the cpu time. A Windows update that went wrong (imagine that, that's never happened to anyone, ever!........Thanks Microsoft, 14 years since the introduction of XP and you still screw up critical updates....sheeesh! :angry: ) is causing this. After I employ Windows Update Troubleshooting all calms down and the count returns to normal....until the next time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #1302 by bethsalem
Where I live near Reus in Spain is experiencing the hottest sustained period since 1929 and I think the heat today might have finally affected the radbox-20. There was a big spike in cpm just before midday, local time, when the temperature was 33C and the relative humidity 60% in the shade. Around this time the radbox-20 is exposed to full sunlight so I shudder to think what the internal temperature was. So I think this spike can be put down to the extreme temperatures being experienced at the moment.

There have been a few drops in the cpm also. Some are definitely down to TIWorker.exe on Win 8.1, but some of the others have appeared when the cpu has maxed out due to playing videos and when using a program to manipulate photos and graphics.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1303 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
Well you're definitely testing it to the extreme! How big was the spike? Just a single reading?
It might be wise to move it where there is a bit more shade. But I am curious as to how long the unit might survive... It must be boiling in the direct sun, its done well so far...
(However, we don't want to kill it! :ohmy: )
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by mw0uzo.

More
8 years 8 months ago #1305 by bethsalem
Unfortunately my screen capture isn't working due to the wonky Windows update gone wrong :angry: so I can't post the graph here, but you can look at it on the Map page. It looks like a heart beat and lasted for about 20 minutes? It was a single spike, then the heart beat pattern before returning to normal.
Unfortunately due to space limitations, there really is no other safe place to site the radbox-20, or any way to put an awning over it to keep it in the shade. At the moment, apart from the rare "burp", all it's functioning very well, so fingers crossed......

More
8 years 8 months ago #1329 by bethsalem
Just an update.

I'm now sure that the reason for these sudden dips that you can see in my graphs is due to my low spec laptop's cpu hitting 99%-100% percentage usage. Even when I change the "priority" to "realtime" under "details" in "task manager" it still happens when the cpu maxes out. The identical thing happens to a seismic sensor I have attached to the same laptop. I guess I need to get a laptop with a more powerful chip ;)

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1333 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
Yeah, my wife has a netbook with a weak CPU, it bogs down and freezes doing barely anything. 1.3Ghz CPU dual core, 2GB RAM. Stupid really, software has not improved over the years.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by mw0uzo.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds