The radmon.org radbox-20

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #1000 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
@bethsalem - Interesting indeed. There are a lot more event and effects to see when the detector is outdoors. I might have missed a detection event here because I was developing radbox at the time. There was a clear detection of something. But because of the other factors involved I could not report on it here, it could have been me checking with a smoke alarm source, and I think I had data submission turned off. Unfortunately, who knows?! I don't remember!
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by mw0uzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #1001 by bethsalem
Replied by bethsalem on topic The radmon.org radbox-20

Great news :D
My settings are 0.025 detect level and 0.5ms for minimum pulse width and dead time. These are probably different from the defaults in v0.41, I have changed them since making the radbox-20. These will be the new defaults in v0.42.
I'm very glad you like the build quality and component choice. I used better quality parts, connectors, cable and enclosure. This has increased the price somewhat, but IMO are essential for use outdoors, proper watertightness, decent low noise cable etc.

I've attached a screenshot of my settings for the RadBox-20.

Just to repeat what's already been said in that this is a very well put together piece of kit using good quality components, so have no fear of using it outside. This is where it's designed to be, monitoring the environment.

Mine has been operating for just over a week sans problems and I'm very happy with its performance.
Attachments:

More
9 years 1 week ago #1008 by bethsalem

Ok some of you who keep a regular check on stations on radmon.org might have notice my station information change to 'Testing radmon.org radbox-20' or something along those lines.

That's because I have been making an external, waterproof background radiation monitoring box that will be available to buy on radmon.org........ and there will be a cheaper DIY version and also a high sensitivity SBM-19 version, called the radbox-19.

Dan, I would be very interested in your thoughts about planning the production of the Radbox-19 as I think the extra order of magnitude in sensitivity would be very useful in detecting natural radiation fluctuations, such as radon washout and radon "burps" from the ground. I know the Radbox-19 won't be able to detect radon directly, but it would be able to detect the beta and gamma emitting daughter radionuclides. Likewise, it could possibly detect Forbush Decreases following CME impacts, even lightning produced gamma flashes - who knows??

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #1011 by bethsalem
Last night I noted another dip in the cpm for a few hours, not as big as the one last week, but a noticeable dip nonetheless.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by bethsalem. Reason: file attachment problem

More
9 years 1 week ago #1012 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
Keep an eye on the dips, I wonder if they can be tied to the same time of day etc. That one doesn't seem outside the range of normal activity like the first one.
Extra sensitivity is always a good idea, the SBM-19 is a great tube, stay tuned for that one :)
Trying at the moment to move the main radmon server onto a VM. Its been a bit of a headache :/, got it to boot now at last. Not got it to display radmon.org website yet though...

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #1014 by bethsalem
There was another dip last night. Again around the same time, beginning late pm and then ending in the middle of the night. This is the third time it's happened since the Radbox-20 was installed. Maybe something, maybe nothing.......
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by bethsalem. Reason: Attachment problems

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds