The radmon.org radbox-20

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1015 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
Ok, this could be an issue with RadLog. I have some similar dips in my data, take a look at my shared data. This is probably due to Windows crunching due to something, I will investigate when I finally get back onto v0.42. The fix may well be simple, like putting the audio sampling thread on a slightly higher priority.

Just gotta get this damn server onto a VM on the big machine...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by mw0uzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1020 by mw0uzo
My development machine is Vista x64 and low on memory so it should suffer from this problem. The damn thing crunches and swaps all the time. The last few sampling periods in shared data don't show any problem. But on 8/04 16:06 there is a significant decrease in count detection. This could be a problem we share or windows updates doing its thing.

I wonder if you could find a system performance logger and match up any drops in counts with heavy memory load?

I'm pretty sure I can detect when the audio recording buffer stalls so could put in some logic to halt counting until the audio system is stable. What is your machine spec/OS ?

More
8 years 11 months ago #1028 by bethsalem
Replied by bethsalem on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
I'm running Win8.1 64bit, but my process is teeny-weeny :lol: only an AMD E1-1200.

Dan to test your theory about windows not giving the audio sampling thread a high enough priority, I've gone into "task manager", then "details", then right clicked on "RadLog.exe", then clicked "set priority" to "high".

I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days and see if the night time dip disappears for good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

More
8 years 11 months ago #1029 by jnissen
Replied by jnissen on topic The radmon.org radbox-20
One of the reasons I moved to a standalone little board to monitor my detector. I also had to fight with the windows settings and power settings to not let it sleep. Now I just have it hooked to a Beagle Bone Black and it runs the PyRadmon python script.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1039 by mw0uzo
Win 8 is definitely slimmer and faster than its predecessors, so should be better than 7 on your machine. I don't know what progress has been made with audio in windows since Vista, where they move audio into userspace and all the extra bloat caused a load of audio stuttering problems with weaker CPUs. Surely it must be improved?

(Gotta get my RPi setup for the radbox! I am going to try moving the RadLog development machine onto a VM on the big server so the PC, which also runs RadLog for my detector, can be retired to uC development only and powered off. I have an audio interface for it, but would really like to try one of those audio-serial USB-TTL converters to see if it will work without the add on audio interface.)

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1057 by bethsalem
Replied by bethsalem on topic The radmon.org radbox-20

I'm running Win8.1 64bit, but my process is teeny-weeny :lol: only an AMD E1-1200.

Dan to test your theory about windows not giving the audio sampling thread a high enough priority, I've gone into "task manager", then "details", then right clicked on "RadLog.exe", then clicked "set priority" to "high".

I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days and see if the night time dip disappears for good.

No sign of the dip returning, so I think Windows is the culprit in not assigning the audio sampling thread a high enough priority by default.

I've just discovered that every time you reboot your pc you have to go back into services and change the priority manually back to "high" from "normal" to eradicate the "dip" issue.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by bethsalem. Reason: additional important information

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds