Corentium Canary Radon Detector

More
8 years 3 days ago #2068 by bethsalem
Today's 48 hour reading in the room above the office shows 31 Bq/m3

I know that readings only taken over one, 48 hour period are not particularly reliable, but it has been an interesting exercise to put very general numbers on the Radon levels in various rooms.

The basement has much higher Radon levels than the floor above it, which is what you would expect. If anyone was living there permanently I would certainly be pushing the building owner to at least do further Radon testing and perhaps install a Radon mitigation device.

The next floor up has low Radon levels even though the exterior walls are constructed of a mix of sedimentary rocks, such as sandstone and mudstone, and local granite. The background levels, as measured by my Radbox-20 just outside on my balcony, average in the course of a year 0.145microsieverts per hour, which is a little on the high side. But again, not unexpected as Spain is one of the most naturally radioactive countries in Europe.

I have no idea when I'll be able to put the Canary down the well. I'm still figuring out the logistics of it :) . Until then I'll reset it and keep it on in my flat. I'm going to write down daily readings (morning and evening) to try and determine both day/night seasonal fluctuations in the Radon levels here as I think the Canary is sensitive enough to be able to do this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 days ago #2069 by mnrad
Do you plan to leave the canary for 2 weeks in the basement? Will be interested to see how the 48hr average compares to the 2 week average.

More
8 years 2 days ago #2070 by bethsalem
I would love to, but the problem is that other people have keys and do use the basement rooms, and I, sadly, don't 100% trust their honesty, that I wouldn't go down to the basement to take a reading only to find the Canary has flown away! :ohmy:

More
8 years 23 minutes ago #2078 by bethsalem
An update. The Canary was showing a level of Radon in my flat of 28 Bq/m3 after 24 hours. I opened my window which is in the adjacent room to the Canary and within 12 hours the level had dropped to 2 Bq/m3. :ohmy: When I closed the window the level rose again within 24 hours back to 28 Bq/m3.

It would seem that opening a window can help wih Radon mitigation. ;)

More
7 years 11 months ago #2088 by bethsalem
I'm taking readings every morning and every evening with the Canary, and using Excel to produce a line chart of 1 Day and Long-Term Averages of the Radon levels in my apartment.

Every so often I'll upload the chart if I can get my screenshot app to work :blink:

More
7 years 11 months ago #2089 by Bert490
The screenshot app I use is Greenshot. It's a standalone portable program, lots of options, and always works for me (I have no affiliation).

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds