× For discussion of news and events happening around the world right now

Wuhan coronavirus

More
4 years 1 month ago #5160 by Sonarflash
Replied by Sonarflash on topic Wuhan coronavirus
As an aside, my family is in health care. My daughter is a health care worker. She doesn't even care about corona virus. Every day she deals with MSRE and other quarantined residents who might kill her. My son is a nurse at the local, Duncan, Cowichan Valley Hospital on Vancouver Island. Today he is out camping with his kids and wife. His wife is also a health care worker. Same level of concern. Which is to say, hardly any. Mostly, she is concerned that her kids wash their hands with soap and hot water after school. Personally, I think most of this is hype and panic. Typical human behaviour. After all, more than a few thousand people have already died of influenza and other infectious diseases while the media focuses on corona. This is so much BS. We are all going to die anyway, and whether sooner or later, who gives a shit? Only those who have a lot to lose or who are totally insecure in their belief system. Hey, get wise, pour a drink of wine and chill. Shit happens. People die. It's sad, but life goes on, and we are just a speck on the pimple of creation.

By the by, isn't this a web site focused on radiation science? I didn't read anywhere that the corona virus was the result of radiation mutation. Did I miss that? Is Corvid19 a BEM about to wipe out humanity?

Right now, I'm more concerned about studying for my advanced ameture exam so that I can run a kilowatt amplifier and maybe talk to people in Europe.
VA7BDG, Brian, Duncan, Vancouver Island B.C. Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5161 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic Wuhan coronavirus
We did our regular shop a couple of days ago. All we added were a few tins and jars of food, an extra 5kg bag of flour, an extra pack of yeast. We already had plenty of bog roll. When I looked at the receipt it was just about €10 more than normal (normal is about €110). No need to stock up on bread, as I usually bake bread a couple of times a week, today a couple of dozen rolls. We keep a few packs of dried foods for emergencies anyway as being in a rural area it isn't always possible to get to a shop, for example if there is bad weather, we have our own spring of potable water, in addition to the company supply. For cooking, in case we have a power cut, we have a small gas camping stove and a couple of cylinders of gas. I wish TV would stop talking about empty shelves, it only makes matters worse, because as soon as a gullible person sees that locally their shelves are full, they bulk buy, perpetuating the problem.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5162 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Wuhan coronavirus
For some reason I don't do a lot of cooking or baking, never really got hugely interested in it. I love home baked bread etc, and not had any for ages so I'm going to have to make a nice bloomer. We've got some strong white flour I bought before panic buying started.

As things seem pretty dire on the spread of the virus currently, and western govt response has been very weak I can see the possibility of really having to watch what you bring into the household for the risk of infection.

e.g. Buying pre-prepared fruit or salad would seem very silly from an infection perspective

Cooking generally kills off all the nasties, so cooking and baking all your favourite things in the home suddenly becomes a lot more interesting.
We're probably going to see a lot of home deliveries etc in the coming months, so having to consider those incoming items as potentially contaminated presents a challenge that must be dealt with.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #5163 by mw0uzo

As an aside, my family is in health care. My daughter is a health care worker. She doesn't even care about corona virus. Every day she deals with MSRE and other quarantined residents who might kill her. My son is a nurse at the local, Duncan, Cowichan Valley Hospital on Vancouver Island. Today he is out camping with his kids and wife. His wife is also a health care worker. Same level of concern. Which is to say, hardly any. Mostly, she is concerned that her kids wash their hands with soap and hot water after school. Personally, I think most of this is hype and panic. Typical human behaviour. After all, more than a few thousand people have already died of influenza and other infectious diseases while the media focuses on corona. This is so much BS. We are all going to die anyway, and whether sooner or later, who gives a shit? Only those who have a lot to lose or who are totally insecure in their belief system. Hey, get wise, pour a drink of wine and chill. Shit happens. People die. It's sad, but life goes on, and we are just a speck on the pimple of creation.

By the by, isn't this a web site focused on radiation science? I didn't read anywhere that the corona virus was the result of radiation mutation. Did I miss that? Is Corvid19 a BEM about to wipe out humanity?

Right now, I'm more concerned about studying for my advanced ameture exam so that I can run a kilowatt amplifier and maybe talk to people in Europe.
VA7BDG, Brian, Duncan, Vancouver Island B.C. Canada

She will care when the number of patients exceeds the local resources available, beds, ventilators, antibiotics for secondary pneumonia and the real threat of infection of healthcare workers becomes apparent.
The WHO themselves have said that 1 in 5 of COVID19 cases require hospital treatment. Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration
If the virus burns through the bulk of the population, which there is a good indication that it will due to how infectious it is, local healthcare facilities will be overwhelmed. Those deemed not an acceptable use of important resources will not be admitted to hospital and they will die in their homes.
You will hear their opinions change over the coming weeks. Unfortunately, there is inertia to overcome when you believe everything is fine when it isn't.

The Canadian government isn't doing anything significant to prevent the early seeding of this disease in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
Asking all travellers to self monitor and still allowing widespread international flights. We know by example *this doesn't work* from all the other weak governments doing the same thing. It didn't help Italy or the UK. Our UK government has said that it is no longer containable. We know they screwed up from basic science.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by mw0uzo.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5164 by mw0uzo
400W limit here in the UK. 1kW should help get that signal out!
I have a doublet antenna here up reasonably high, we could try a QSO? I use WSPR sometimes, I could check different bands and see when there is a path that might be open to you, Sonarflash

More
4 years 1 month ago #5165 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Wuhan coronavirus
A handy graph with infection, death and recovery rates. You can view data for individual countries by clicking on the relevant country below the graphs.
https://corona.help/

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds