ESPGeiger

More
7 months 4 days ago - 7 months 3 days ago #6693 by Juzzie
Replied by Juzzie on topic ESPGeiger
Great work steadramon. The web installer is sooo easy. 
But - I need to have a "topic" for mqtt submission - you have only allowed for user and password (which I don't need).

Edit - I worked it out using node-RED  debug - Topic automatically set to ESPGeiger-xxxxxx/etc/etc :-)

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.
Last edit: 7 months 3 days ago by Juzzie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steadramon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 4 days ago #6694 by Juzzie
It would be good if one could set the "root" topic though...

More
7 months 3 days ago - 7 months 3 days ago #6695 by steadramon
Replied by steadramon on topic ESPGeiger
Thanks for the feedback - the topic details are on the github page, I need to get on with the user documentation - I'll certainly look at adding an option for setting the root topic - I see the benefit here.

For information the MQTT output looks like the following and is posted every minute
ESPGeiger-129e0c/tele/lwt Online
ESPGeiger-129e0c/tele/status {"uptime":"2T01:45:10","board":"ESP32","model":"GC10next","free_mem":191552,"ssid":"Wifi","ip":"192.168.1.123","rssi":-24}
ESPGeiger-129e0c/stat/CPS 0.43
ESPGeiger-129e0c/stat/CPM 26.00
ESPGeiger-129e0c/stat/uSv 0.10
ESPGeiger-129e0c/stat/CPM5 25.00
ESPGeiger-129e0c/stat/CPM15 25.00
ESPGeiger-129e0c/tele/lwt Offline
Last edit: 7 months 3 days ago by steadramon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juzzie

More
7 months 3 days ago - 7 months 3 days ago #6698 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic ESPGeiger
I tried updating it to 0.4.0 using the inbuilt update feature and it didn't work. I may have chosen the wrong .bin file. I went through the motions, downloaded what I thought to be the correct file, clicked update. After a couple of seconds it said successful, rebooting. It never came back. It appears dead, no wifi, no blinky from the LED. I'll try serial console before I reinstall it.

I chose........ I have just realized.... I'm an idiot.... I chose this version: esp32_pulse-firmware.v0.4.0.bin That's not really going to run on an ESP8266! Haha, never mind, I'll reinstall.

This has brought to light two things though. One being there is nothing on the github page with the binaries to state what things like pulsemin, merged, no_pcnt etc. so its difficult to know the right version for my device. The other thing is there could do with some sanity checking of the .bin file against the current installed firmware. That was very easy to download the wrong firmware and update it with that. Alright, onto running the web installer again. It will be interesting to see if I get the same issue as last time.

Update: I got this from serial. I deffo broke it!
ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x000000ee, len 0, room 16 
tail 0
chksum 0xef
load 0x00ffff00, len 16777216, room 8

Update 2: I did a fresh web install, erasing the ESP. It worked but still said it couldn't connect to serial. I just accessed it's AP, reconfigured it and it's back. Total downtime of 23 minutes. I'm very, very impressed with the web installer. It makes it really easy to install, or unbreak!  And fast too!
Last edit: 7 months 3 days ago by Simomax.

More
7 months 3 days ago - 7 months 3 days ago #6699 by steadramon
Replied by steadramon on topic ESPGeiger
Hmm weird, I've tried uploading the wrong firmware before - there should be protection for this already, it's something I'll look into, but a lot of the webserver etc is provided by 3rd party libraries.

This is the information regarding the prebuild images on the Github - though I really do agree I need to get a user manual together! (Have also adjusted to versioned firmwares as well)

Pre-built image Select an image - the images are in the format

<esp_device>_<geiger_device>
There are builds for both ESP32 and ESP8266 boards, both with builds for:
  • Generic Pulse Counters (pulse)
  • GC10 (gc10)
  • GC10next (gc10next)
  • MightyOhm (mightyohm)
For example, if you have an esp8266 and a generic pulse counter, use esp2866_pulse-firmware.bin an ESP32 with a GC10 - esp32_gc10-firmware.bin Use a tool such as esptool.py to flash the firmware to your ESP device.

Update:

Looks like the protection works in 2 of the 3 scenarios that can happen... lucky you! I can add some basic protection here quite simply checking the filename includes the right chip type.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 months 3 days ago by steadramon.

More
7 months 2 days ago - 7 months 2 days ago #6703 by Juzzie
This is very simple to set up and use. Thank you. I find knowing rssi useful for positioning the geiger counter, and trouble shooting - Could you add a topic with rssi data?

edit - Sorry, I see now you've already included that in the object (/tele/status), and I see now in your post above...
But, I have noticed that if I restart the esp after cutting the power, mqtt will not start unless I enter Setup, and 'save' - regardless if changes are made or not.

Last edit: 7 months 2 days ago by Juzzie.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds