Strange anomaly this morning with station radspod_one

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #6730 by Simomax
This is my main and oldest running counter (GC10 v1 with SBM-20). It is the only counter I have outside at the moment. It picked up two spikes early this morning, exactly 1 hour apart. The first was at 02:43:55 (UTC) and read 313 CPM, then the second was at 03:43:52 (UTC) and read 147 CPM. Really no idea why. Could be interference, or could be actually reading something. I have attached the daily log below. None of the (four) counters I have running in my office picked this up, that I am aware of. I was alerted to this by email alert, but only for the second spike. Not the first. Whilst both spikes are showing on the radmon graph, only the second high CPM is indicated in the radmon daily CSV. Quite peculiar.

17/10/2023 02:43:55  313
17/10/2023 03:43:52  147.875  

It seems that another smaller spike happened less than an hour ago. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the daily log for this from Radlog.exe. Here is the current graph as of now:

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Simomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #6734 by Juzzie
That is a bit odd.
If that were anything airbourne I would expect there to be elevated counts either side of those spikes, but there doesn't seem to be. Was there an insect on the geiger PCB? Have you had a visit from a spider?
I have had nearly invisible threads of spider web cause that kind of thing at times of peak humidity.

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Juzzie.

• Simomax
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #6735 by Simomax

Was there an insect on the geiger PCB? Have you had a visit from a spider?

There shouldn't be. It's pretty well sealed up with a couple of large bags of desiccant behind the board. The last time I looked (2-3 months ago) it still looked squeaky clean inside. The graph/logs from yesterday are below. It seems there were 3 spikes and a very strange 0 CPM event. The 0 CPM is highly unusual. Possible counter failure imminent? This is a standard NetIO GC10 v1 (connected to a PC running radlog.exe) and has been running since April 2016. One of the very strange things is the timing of the spikes. All at 43 minutes past the hour. I have attached the CPM log for that day also. It should be a continuation from the log I posted yesterday.

17/10/2023 02:43:55  313
17/10/2023 03:43:52  147.875 
17/10/2023 05:44:04  0
17/10/2023 07:43:57  72.333

Strange how they all seem to be roughly half the CPM as the previous?

Attachments:

More
6 months 1 week ago #6740 by Juzzie
Very odd. I would call that a hardware error and keep watching for more clues.It may even be an odd signal in your power supply, caused by what? I have no idea.

• Simomax
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #6744 by Simomax
More strangeness. Background elevated slightly around 00:00 UTC. Looks as though it started to rise very slowly around 22:00 UTC and then took off a bit at midnight UTC. It's not a lot at all, only a few CPM. I've seen this kind of thing from time to time. This is probably the 4th or 5th time I have see similar since the station went live. There may be more that I have missed. I could really do with getting another counter out there beside this one.

Yes, it could possibly be the power supply. I can't even remember what it is. I think it is a good quality Chinese SMP wall wart type. But it has been running for 7.5 years. 

Here are some graphs and the log is attached at the bottom.

About an hour later I got these graphs. They are pretty much the same, but does have the trend graph.

Attachments:

More
6 months 1 week ago #6754 by Juzzie
That looks like a legitimate detection to me. When the airflow is moist and from the mainland I can get that kind of bump in the chart (I suspect huge quantities of radon/progeny from Olympic Dam uranium mine) What is the weather scene like where you are - wind direction, temp, humidity, etc..? Do you have a humidity sensor?

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds