Performance upgrades to the radmon.org system

More
9 years 2 months ago #736 by Frank
I agree ThibmoRozier, this really does suck, come so far and now hitting bandwidth limits. I hope it wasn't because we added on other sites markers and polling them for it, if so, drop them. It was a nice thought, but if this is whats going to happen, then we need to back down to where we were. I donated some and will donate some more, but I surely hope that we don't go overboard with enhancements on the site features that we bury ourselves and it ends up hurting Dan and us. Never thought it would come to this! sad. :ohmy:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #737 by jnissen
What type of BW requirements do you need? I run a forum with a couple thousand users and I pay about $15.00 a month for a substantial amount of traffic. Is most of the cost due to all the updates being sent in? How about changing the default update rate to limit how often we send in data? I would think there are lots of options that could potentially be looked into. Yes tossing money at the problem does often work but sometimes it's not as simple as that.

More
9 years 2 months ago #739 by RH Electronics
I would agree with Frank. If data collaboration with other website caused such performance decreasing it better to go back or make radmon with paid accounts.

http://rhelectronics.net

More
9 years 2 months ago #743 by mw0uzo
I'm discussing this with the hosts at the moment trying to hammer out a solution. There's a reasonable amout of time before a descision has to be made, so I'm sure a solution can be found.

I really want to keep radmon.org and RadLog free to use, so only a huge bill would change that. It does not reward the time and effort put into developing it at the moment, but the site is young. The whole RadLog Pro/Lite thing I think put new users off in the end, even though Pro was free, so that is going in the next RadLog release. Let's see what happens. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank

More
9 years 2 months ago #746 by Frank
Would really be curious to what happened and why it was going so well, so it appeared, to this all of a sudden, did something change, perhaps too much data, adding all these history charts, and logging events, etc? I know on my PC alone with all the results being saved, I think, is piling up when viewing all the history stuff if I am understanding it correctly.. :blink:

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #748 by mw0uzo
Well the hosts complained I was taking up too much resources, so I made a load of optimisations which really improved things. However, the raw request rate for the radmon.org script is just too high. The limit for the current server package is 60,000 per day. I am at 80,000 and the hosts are saying I need a dedicated server to continue. I had a look around the web at VPS servers, but they don't appear to be that good plus its a load of hassle manually moving to one. I expect the hosts are right, for radmon.org to improve its graphs and features and increase users it will need a dedicated server.

So, some fundraising ideas are needed. Anticipated server costs are an extra ~£36 a month after introductory offer. Comments please:

1) Adverts for geiger counter kitbuilders. Monthly bidding process for ads on radmon pages, highest bidder first/at the top etc.
2) More google ads (almost pointless, click rates are near 0)
3) Donation nag at RadLog startup.
4) Sell more radbox-20. Where are the **$&% enclosures??! (Sorry for the delay on these ppl)
5) Host the data side of radmon.org at home. This could work, have a server chugging away with the data processing with the rest of it on a proper server. Data submission requests are small and frequent and data requests for the live map aren't that big. The graph images might go slow though if it saturates the upload. Would need to get a 2U short server to go in the rack, lay ethernet cable and upgrade home internet package. Also RadLog and pyradmon will need to be updated to allow the data submissions to be sent to a different URL. Possible, but a lot of mucking around with undetermined performance.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by mw0uzo.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.787 seconds