PyRadmon install and set up on Raspberry Pi (Wheezy Raspbian)

More
2 years 6 months ago #5860 by stanciub
hello all, new into this thing.
I have a Raspberry pi 4 and run the install as described in the 1st post but every time I get this:
username and pass - ok
GMC 320 port ok
I used another script and I get the values. Is only with this script.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Radmon $ sudo python pyradmon.py 
Reading configuration:
    User name configured
    Password configured
    Serial port name configured
    Serial port speed configured
    Protocol configured

Using GMC protocol
Gathering data started

No samples in queue, waiting 5 seconds
Initializing GMC protocol communication
No response from device

Any idea is very welcomed.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #5861 by jnissen
Don't have the Pi hooked up at the moment as I moved recently and it's in storage. I used this to run a GMC-300 unit. The thing about these units that drove me crazy is that the response times were variable. I would issue a request and not get a response at times. I think I narrowed it down with a set of sleep commands between the commands. If I can find the unit I will get it back online and recording again. Then I can share the exact hacks i had to apply.

In the mean time try some sleep time between the commands and see if that improves things. The initial configuration always seemed to work fine like you show but later in the loop that dispatched data is where I ran into most of my trouble. I know I reduced my update rate significantly and it may have been 30 seconds or so.

The GMC serial interface is not very friendly. I believe it uses a processor that has blocking code from what I could decipher. If the processor is off doing some background task the serial command stuff gets held off and is reported later. That is the only explanation I could come up with as I would issue commands over and over in test loops and every now and then it would not respond back. Just when the request came in vs. the GMC's code loop. Difficult to debug!

More
2 years 5 months ago #5863 by stanciub
if you have an already created script with this workaround will be great. I tried some sleeps between commands, but didn't work.

Unit shows time as: �������Ĝ��������������������
<SETDATETIME[211028082543]>>

More
2 years 5 months ago #5864 by stanciub
it worked with sleep. Got into hard debug today. thanks

More
1 year 10 months ago #6148 by Sailpiper
I tried to install PyRadmon on my Pi, running Raspbian Bullseye following the instructions in the first post and got an error message 'Package python-serial is not available, but is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source'. 
This error doesn't occur if I use Raspbian Buster

More
1 year 10 months ago #6155 by jnissen
Yeah the Pi needs all of the standard serial support code. Even though it's via USB many of the detectors will use a USB to RS232 type conversion internally (FTDI plus lots of different clone chips). I believe that is why the serial support code is required. Once the PI recognizes the RS232 converter is attached it needs that support code to communicate through the USB interface to that chip.

By downloading the Buster verion you have the older software that was proven over years. The Bullseye veriosn is newer but at the expense of breaking many of the earlier drivers that were developed. It may be better by now but initially the Bullseye version broke a lot of the legacy drivers. I have not tried to load it more recently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sailpiper

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds