× Prepping, emergency plans, shelters etc

Iodine pills

More
7 years 7 months ago #2562 by Bert490
Iodine pills was created by Bert490
This has been brought up before by Carl (Gamma-Man), but I thought I'd re-start it here in the new topic area. As most already know, radioactive I-131 produced by a nuclear leak (or blast) that is inhaled or ingested will tend to be absorbed by the thyroid gland, unless it is already full of Iodine. Swallowing a Potassium Iodide pill before the dust arrives is everyone's best bet to avoid any resulting thyroid cancer. Those living near Nuclear Plants may have easier access to Potassium Iodide, either by pre-distribution or by local stockpiles (see previous topic discussion ).

For preparedness, having them at home is better than waiting for a stockpile location to open up or negotiating lineups. I bought some online (iosat brand), which expire in 2021. The ones I got from the government (once I discovered they offer them if you live close enough and ask) expire in 2026. The ideal case would be to have each family member have one pill with them at all times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2563 by Gamma-Man
Replied by Gamma-Man on topic Iodine pills
Yes we shall not forget this and as I wrote before it can be good to know how long time it will take for the wind to reach you in an outburst.
And about pills, here in Sweden the authorities claims that it is of no use to take pills if you have reached the honorable age of 40 (but I have my pills hidden from the authorities)....

Carl

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #5572 by Radslug
Replied by Radslug on topic Iodine pills
Iodine tablets do not lose potency with age. Somewhere I've links to the peer reviewed papers but this will do for now:
https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q7000.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gamma-Man

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #5573 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Iodine pills
This is probably a daft question, but I live about 16 miles (as the crow flies) away from Heysham Nuclear Power Station (UK). Now I know that some of the local people there have been issued iodine tablets and also instructions for an emergency, but we have not. Do you/anyone think it would be prudent for me to get and store some, just in case?

I don't know a massive amount about iodine tablets except that they are designed to saturate your thyroid with iodine so no radioactive iodine can stay within the body. But would there be potential for me and my family to need them, or is this a distance related thing? Any info would be very much appreciated as I feel I have forgotten how radioactive iodine is released. I seem to remember it required a nuclear explosion for the primary radioactive source to decay into iodine.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #5574 by Gamma-Man
Replied by Gamma-Man on topic Iodine pills
I live in Stockholm, Sweden and I have power plants both north and south of me. In the areas near to the plants the authorities has provided the nearest inhabitants with alarmsystems and Iodine pills, but that does not applies to me due to the distance. Thats why I have bought pills when visiting Ukraine an Finland, it is difficult to buy them in Sweden.
I have also made a map with distances and presumed windspeed and directions from the plants and in that way can decide when to take my pill, or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simomax

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #5577 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Iodine pills
Good idea about the map. I only have one nuclear power station near me so is fairly easy to work out. If the wind was blowing my direction at 10mph it would take about 1 hour 40 minutes to get to me. Even at 20mph that would still be nearly an hour. It has kind of put my mind at ease a little, but I do think I will try and source some pills just in case.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds