SAS Super 90!!

More
2 years 4 months ago #5907 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic SAS Super 90!!
Could 3d print a new end for it.. i found a zillion coats of hi build primer smoothed off for a good gloss coat with nice finish. Unfortunately some hi build primers aren't hi build, just broken promises and lies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
2 years 4 months ago #5908 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic SAS Super 90!!

Could 3d print a new end for it.. i found a zillion coats of hi build primer smoothed off for a good gloss coat with nice finish. Unfortunately some hi build primers aren't hi build, just broken promises and lies

I thought that too, but I think it would deserve a brand new aluminium machined part  with chrome finger guard to encase the tube. Not exactly cheap, but I think would finish it rather nicely. It would also be a little more solid than printed plastic and would relieve me of a zillion coats of primer!   Ever heard of spray putty? I used to use it for car body work years ago. It fills up all the scratches and crevices easily. A couple of coats with a quick rub with wet and dry and good to go, ready for a couple coats of primer and then top coats. It would be interesting to see how it does with 3D prints.

More
2 years 4 months ago #5911 by mw0uzo
I'll try that, something that fills up all the ridges after 3-4 coats would be amazing

• Simomax
More
2 years 4 months ago #5913 by Simomax
I received my SAS Super 90 today!

The space inside the case isn't large enough for the SI22G tubes. Plenty large enough for SBM-20s, but I wanted something with the sensitivity akin to the SI22G. I'll have to look about for something suitable, or think of something else.

Attachments:

More
2 years 4 months ago #5918 by mw0uzo
Haha, so cool. Shame the big tube doesn't fit but oh well, that's for a small pancake tube anyway. Plenty of room to fit a counter PCB in and other bits, and a high capacity li-ion would replace those old nicads...

• Simomax
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #6033 by Simomax
I have just bought a tube for this project. Not sure exactly what model it is, either SI8B or SI14B. Will have to see when it arrives, although either model is good. 80mm case and about 60mm window. Will be good for hard and soft beta and gamma. 
Now I just need to find some other tubes to fit in the base for background monitoring. 

ETA: The seller has another 5 available (at the time of writing) and very reasonably priced at £35 each. Looks to be UK postage only but worth checking yourself if in a different country. Ebay link here: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255391380382
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Simomax.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.542 seconds