SAS Super 90!!

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #5901 by Simomax
SAS Super 90!! was created by Simomax
I have just bought a 'PBI Microbial Air Sampler SAS Super 90'  just for the simple fact it looked proper funky! I have no idea if it works, or how it works, or even exactly what it does, but bought it for shits and giggles. I paid £15. Working, they are going for about £1000!

I care not for testing microbes in the air, so I figure I can make something with it. So far I have thought I can turn it into a ridiculously powerful flash light. Something around 100w LED. I could use a liquid cooler in the body, LED and smallish heatsink at the end, use the display for something, temperature, power and battery remaining, and have a large LiPO pack over my shoulder. Or I could turn it into a nice portable PM2.5/PM10 air quality meter, and I have all the parts for that already. Or I thought of maybe a portable homebrew Radon gas meter. I could pull air inside the body and have it run through a filter. There could be a GM tube close to the filter, with a servo operated shield that shields the tube from the filter when collecting air, then samples for x seconds, then repeats. Any gamma radiation (Radon decay chain) coming from the filter would be measured by the counter.

I really think I have to do something with it because it just looks so cool! There is some kind of cap missing from the end, maybe a filter or something, but that doesn't matter. Anyone have any ideas also?

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Simomax. Reason: because I never get it right first time......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #5902 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic SAS Super 90!!
You are correct the end should have a holder for a filter and dust cap. The filter and its cap could be sterilised, usually by autoclaving. The body pulls a known volume of air through the filter in a set time. The filter is then used to seed a culture, from which the number of organisms per cubic metre and their type can be identified. Many moons ago I used a very crude system with a hand pump and attached filter to measure the number of bacteria in the air  in laboratories. You could use a plain filter paper in a suitable holder to sample for radioactive particulates in air!
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by FSM19.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simomax

• Simomax
  • Away
More
2 years 4 months ago #5903 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic SAS Super 90!!
Interesting. Thanks FSM19. So all it really is, is a calibrated fan!? That's a lot of money for something that just sucks!   

More
2 years 4 months ago #5904 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic SAS Super 90!!
Haha, that really does look cool! And what a name!

Build a geiger and end window tube into it

• Simomax
  • Away
More
2 years 4 months ago #5905 by Simomax

Build a geiger and end window tube into it

I thought about that, a pancake tube would go well. But I already have a couple of end window counters (Mini 5.10 & 5.40), although they are separate counter and probe. And what to do with all the space in the body?

Although..... It could be two counters in one unit. It could have more tubes inside the body. Maybe make a beta cover. Maybe some low sensitivity tube, or low and high sensitivity tubes and have those measuring background. With the pancake at the front it would be the ultimate survey meter! 

The Triple G 9 Million! 

• Simomax
  • Away
More
2 years 4 months ago #5906 by Simomax
Hmm, thinking about it I could have a SI8B or similar tube up front, I already have some low sensitivity tubes (DOB50, DOB80, SI3BG and I think 3G8B is also low sensitivity.) I would also want a very sensitive tube monitoring background. I do have a couple of SI22G's that would probably work. Then the electronics... SD Card logging, GPS, an analogue meter would be nice, but that would have to replace the LCD and I don't think it would look quite right. I'll have to wait until I get it to work out exactly what can be done with it. I do think it would be a great project.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds