Chernobyl 2.0?

More
8 years 6 months ago #1428 by Gamma-Man
Replied by Gamma-Man on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
I was in Chernobyl two weeks ago and I have visited the area 7-8 times since 2010. Everytime I have measured the radiation level and at very few places there is readings higher than I have in my apartment in Stockholm. Those hot spots are marked with signs.
As you understand I have not been inside the powerplant itself but in places where authorized personnel and also visitors can go.
I would say it is harmless to visit the area unless you go down on your knees and eat the soil.
Although I normally use dosimeters during my visit I feel no fear to be in the area and in Kiev the level of radiation is lower than in my hometown Stockholm.

I fully understand if locals do not discuss this because it is no big deal any longer, the catastrophe has already happened. I am more confused about that people in other countries with nuclear weapons, uranium dump sites and old power plants do not discuss this more.

Carl

PS. In summertime there are 7 fire stations with 175 fire fighters on duty. This year so far they had handled 4 relatively large fires. Salary is low in Ukraine and EU is supporting them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1429 by Juzzie
Replied by Juzzie on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
youtube.com/watch?v=ejZyDvtX85Y it is what your dosimeter doesn't notice that is worrying. The chernobyl catastrophe is ongoing. There are very tiny particles of nuclear fuel blowing all around in the wind... even here in Australia there is Chernobyl plutonium.

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1436 by Gamma-Man
Replied by Gamma-Man on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
If we talk about the Chernobyl disaster it is in someway ongoing, but so is many other man made nuclear/atomic experiments and ongoing power and fuel production. If there is pieces of fuel some centimeters down in the soil inside the "secured" zone in the Chernobyl area it is not a problem since nobody should be there and dig it up.

The problem is that the event occured 1986 and that this area will be closed for normal life for a very long time

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds