Chernobyl 2.0?

More
8 years 10 months ago #1128 by ozycon
Chernobyl 2.0? was created by ozycon
We should be on the look out for detections in Europe and Russia after recent developments close to the Chernobyl NPP.

http://rt.com/news/253897-chernobyl-fires-rage-ukraine/

http://enenews.com/massive-fire-threatens-chernobyl-plant-only-3-miles-nuclear-waste-experts-smoke-heavily-contaminated-could-dispersion-very-significant-component-original-radiation-capable-spreading-contaminants
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo, Vinkx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #1129 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
Wow, was not aware of this - thanks

More
8 years 10 months ago #1130 by ozycon
Replied by ozycon on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
Wow indeed.

The people in this community will realize that this incident has the potential to release huge quantities of contamination on a global scale but education on the subject in the mainstream is almost non existent. That being said communities that are more likely to be affected by nuclear contamination may be more inclined to turn a blind eye to the issue, for example the countries that you would expect to find lots of radmon stations like Ukraine, Belarus, Japan, Russia, France and certain states in the US are the some of the least populated areas.

Any Thoughts?

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #1132 by bethsalem
Replied by bethsalem on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
It is reported to be now under control

http://www.thenews.com.pk/article-183236-Chernobyl-wildfire-nearly-extinguished:-Ukraine

I think this is the third major wildfire in the last five years, estimated to have stirred up another 0.5 petabecquerels of radioactivity. It seems a lot, but if I can track down my source to verify what I'm suggesting, this equates to the residents of Kiev getting another 10 microsieverts dose.

I wonder if there are any reliable studies into the biological effects of the previous wildfires on wildlife, especially large mammals, living in and close to the area affected by the wildfires? Say an increase in radiation exposure related illnesses above the expected norm?

No statistically significant rises in the relative level of radiation seems to being reported from amateur sites so far.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bethsalem. Reason: More information

More
8 years 10 months ago #1133 by ozycon
Replied by ozycon on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
Yeah these types of fires are reported to be fairly common in that area and apparently the fire services are dangerously under funded. Some speculate that due to the radioactivity there is a lack of micro organisms causing the dead plant matter to become petrified rather that decaying therefore making it more susceptible to fires. That would be an interesting topic to study...maybe :whistle:

I dont expect t to see any rise in background radiation levels but it is a misconception that higher background levels are the hazard, its the Russian Roulette inhaling or ingesting hot particles that is the real threat.

More
8 years 10 months ago #1152 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Chernobyl 2.0?
Little late, been busy here but ya, I was reading about this and got an email about it. That's always been a fear of happening. I wish we had a station out in that region, none of the sites I watch, us private ones, there is not one station near that area. :blink:

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds