ESPGeiger HW

More
10 months 1 week ago #6476 by steadramon
ESPGeiger HW was created by steadramon
I've posted recently about ESPGeiger - a software for ESP8266 and ESP32 for recording input from a geiger counter.

I have spent the last few months designing, testing and building a Geiger Counter built around the ESP8266 (controlling PWM for HV) as well as bringing the benefits of the ESPGeiger software - MQTT, reporting to radmon.org etc

Video

I have a newer version planned with adjustments to the PCB, cutting out the PCB beneath the GM tube and adjusting to add a user interaction button and switch for the HV side of the circuit. If anyone might be interested I can possibly look at supplying as a kit if there's interest?

In any case - this is based upon the various designs around on the internet, but instead of a 555 for the boosting circuit, the ESP8266 does this job. See attached images for example of circuit using PWM.

Are there any thoughts for full testing on this? I've tested the boost circuit is capable of keeping up with the requirements of the tube at high counts. I'm happy to share more information and possibly looking for testers as well
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simomax, nu3e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #6479 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic ESPGeiger HW
That looks great, steadramon. Well done!  I really like the MCU form factor counters and I think they are great as basic background monitors or just for messing with for fun. ESP with WiFi is the gravy - makes it so simple to put them online.

I am very interested in a kit, and I'm happy to test it, as best I can. I have plenty of other similar MCU driven counters so it would be good to do some comparison testing. I possibly may be interested in more if it proves to work well and the price is right as I would like to get some more stations setup locally in my area. I was going to purchase a couple of BroHogan's, but sadly he isn't shipping to the UK since brexit and the Net IO's are a bit expensive to be putting in the wild, and the cheap Chinese CA-JOE etc... I just don't know if they would be reliable, so would be good to test yours. I can build it, supply the ESP8266 (I have loads) and the oled (I'd have to purchase that separately). Please do let me know if you can supply one - I'm more than happy to pay for the parts/shipping and throw in a bit for yourself too! 

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #6520 by Simomax
Do you know what the power consumption of this is? I'm curious to know how viable it would be to solar power this.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #6522 by steadramon
Replied by steadramon on topic ESPGeiger HW
Power consumption is 0.6-0.7 watts (130mA @5v) for the overnight duration I've just measured. If I can manage to get the data from this USB monitor I can post it
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by steadramon.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #6523 by Simomax
That's great, thank you. No need for USB monitor data, I was just after a ball park figure. I wondered if a single 5w solar panel would be enough to run the counter (with batteries/charger etc) in the UK. It should be. It will certainly be fine in the summer, but I know from experience that solar is absolutely useless in the UK in winter. I think it would work. Certainly worth a shot!
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Simomax. Reason: Spelling... My fingers run faster than my brain... Or is that the other way around?

More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #6540 by steadramon
Replied by steadramon on topic ESPGeiger HW
I've taken delivery of the latest run of the ESPGeiger Hardware, this version includes a user input button, hardware switch for the HV side, optional swappable anode resistor and points for soldering external buttons and tubes.

I'll take some real photos soon -

Currently testing the latest hardware and making some software adjustments for the new hardware options.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 months 1 week ago by steadramon.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds