Hi

More
6 years 11 months ago #3212 by delf67
Hi was created by delf67
Hi all,

I have a standard GMC-300E+ and I live in Wiltshire, UK.
I bought a geiger counter out of curiosity really, just to see how background radiation varies over time.
I plan to take it when I visit my mum in Suffolk. She lives close to Sizewell and we often walk the dogs along a footpath that goes within about 3m of the old open-air spent fuel pools for Sizewell A!

I don't do social media!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #3225 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Hi
Welcome! Amazing that you can walk so close!
I would expect the pools to be empty as Magnox fuel was reprocessed quickly. But I bet there's plenty of hot debris in there!
Some digging online should find out what is in them...
Check your PMs for the password.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by mw0uzo.

More
6 years 11 months ago #3228 by delf67
Replied by delf67 on topic Hi
Thanks, I'm on the map :cheer: !

The pools are on the eastern perimeter of the site adjoining the beach. They're dry now- the last spent fuel left the "A" site a couple of years ago, so it will be interesting what sort of readings I get. I'll take some photos too.
I also have a friend who lives in Aldermaston, fairly close to the Atomic Weapons Establishment. I think I'll take the GC when I next visit her, just to check!

Great site btw. If this had been around in '86, we would have known about Chernobyl well before the Russians finally admitted to it.

I don't do social media!

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds