New User G7ELK Fareham Hampshire

More
8 years 2 months ago #1780 by G7ELK
Just completed a counter based on the BroHogan DIY Geiger Counter (actually the Lithuanian copy from Ebay). Have added a USB inte`rface and it seems happy talking to the RadLog Lite Software.

Tube is the ubiquitous SBM20 which I have remotely mounted via a short length of miniature co-ax with no obvious ill effect (cable capacitance is likely to slug the pulse shape and limit the maximum count rate, but if that ever becomes an issue it is likely to be the least of my problems.....)

Plan is to hang the tube outside under the eaves with thye cable coming in through the window opening. Need to finish boxing the electronics, but hope to have everything up and running in its final loaction (Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire) by the end of the week.

Please can you consider letting me have a login for data submission....

Regards, Rob (G7ELK)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1790 by mw0uzo
Hi Rob
Welcome to radmon.org!
I will set your account up this evening and PM you when its done.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1792 by G7ELK
Many Thanks!

Bit of a delay with boxing up the counter, mainly caused by mye insisting on squeezing into a box which is not really big enough.... But still expect to have up and running at home by the end of the week.

PC is already running 24/7 for WSPR, so Geiger update will not add much to the traffic....

Regards, Rob

More
8 years 2 months ago #1799 by mw0uzo
Ok its set up. Check PMs for password.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1804 by G7ELK
Many Thanks. Got everything up and running last night and overnight results looked ok. But this morning there is obviously something wrong, assuming there is not a major nuclear incident on the south coast...

From aprox 07:45 this morning, the count rate shot up from a pefectly palusible level to 200cpm or more. I am at work so cannot do anything about it. Two theories so far: either condensation within the (outdoor) sensor is causing arcing and false counts or the system is suffering interference, perhaps from the solar PV system on the roof (both panels and inverter fairly close) which would have come on line at approxiamtely the time things started going wrong.

Any other thoughts anyone??

Regards, Rob

More
8 years 2 months ago #1805 by Juzzie
I'd check for faulty GM tube or anode resistor.... or maybe a faulty solder socket on kit HV... :unsure:

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds