Making a mobile unit

More
9 years 3 months ago #535 by Frank
Making a mobile unit was created by Frank
Trying to think up ways to enclose a detector board on my truck and run the wires inside to a control panel. My thoughts are in getting an old marine type GPS unit, gutting it and installing a detector inside it, mounting it on the backrack on my truck. Then I can do readings from around areas I travel, dumps, railroad beds and years, tractor trailers on the highway, etc.. This is an example of what I have, now trying to get it open. I have one of them mini detectors boards and one of the smaller tubes and will be a perfect fit in it. Just got to get it opened.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290895800095?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #615 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Making a mobile unit
I've been meaning to reply to this for ages. Probably the best and most convenient way is RadLog for Android/Phone/Bluetooth/Counter. But if its in your truck and you have a PC or laptop, then RadLog with GPS function would work great. I've just bought a GPS adaptor to implement that in RadLog.

More
9 years 2 months ago #620 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Making a mobile unit
No problem, being in winter mode here, I like to think up and do up some ideas and thoughts for the spring. Don't have a cell phone, so thats out. only work 3 miles form work, only the wife has one just in case. Since I know, via hearing it, the normal click rates for my area, just mounting the detector part outside the truck in a dome type enclosure and runs wires into the cab to an LED and piezo clicker and power. ;)

More
9 years 2 months ago #626 by Juzzie
Replied by Juzzie on topic Making a mobile unit
"...RadLog for Android/Phone/Bluetooth/Counter.", with gps function. YES!

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

More
9 years 5 days ago #1049 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Making a mobile unit
Just need to figure out the best wire to use for the tube in the voltage as to not effect it too much. I know I read that adding a capacitor helps when using coax cable. Trying to use a more, flexible, smaller type of cable. Right now, here in the shack for the project I'm using a piece of shielded, 2 conductor cable that once went to the a temperature sensor from my old hearthkit weather station. Currently about 7 feet long soldered on the board and clips on the M4011 tube that is inside one of them GPS dome enclosure and working just fine, like the tube was mounted in the unit. But I will need about 10 more feet in length to actually mount in on the truck to reach the console.

More
9 years 5 days ago - 9 years 5 days ago #1052 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Making a mobile unit
This is awesome and a good test for V0.42. I have GPS working on the development version, so if you get this made before V0.42 is released I can send you the dev version. I would use any shielded cable or coax. Don't put in any capacitor, you need to minimise the amount of charge the tube dissipates when it breaks down. You could move the anode resistor off the counter board and put it at the tube to do this. If the M4011 tube is low cost and easily replaceable, I wouldn't worry about it.

It will be great to get the radmon.org system to record an entire journey and plot it, your efforts will really help towards getting it working.
Last edit: 9 years 5 days ago by mw0uzo.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds