Can You tell me how to get a radioactive@home USB kit to work with Radmon ?

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #6586 by a.aamot
Hello. I have been at radioactive@home for a few years.
Running kit v 2.61 with USB connected to a WIN10 computer,
with the Boinc Manager software to upload to radioactive@home server.
As You probably know, the radioactive@home servers are repeatly down again, 
and I would like to get my kit running on the web.

Has anyone a way to get this kit working with Radmon ?
As I can see there are none detectors at my position in Norway.

Regards, 
A.Aamot
Floroe, Norway

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by a.aamot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #6587 by Simomax
I'm not familiar with R@H counters/software etc. so my help is very limited. I have tried looking on the R@H site and it's down, as you have said.

Do you know anything or have any documentation on what protocol is used via USB, and do you know what microcontroller is running the counter? If the USB uses RS232 (serial) then it may be possible to use Radlog on your windows machine, but that would require the counter to give the CPM over RS232 in ascii (text) format. It would be really helpful if the website was up!

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #6646 by a.aamot
The site is currently up :
http://radioactiveathome.org/map/

regards, Asbjorn

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #6648 by Simomax
I have had a look at the site and available documentation and can't find anything stating how it talks via the usb. Without that, or an actual R@H counter for me to test I really can't offer any help.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #6666 by Bert490
I have a (mostly) working radioactive@home kit, and can confirm that the USB port very likely enumerates to a serial port, with data sent as a single ASCII value every second.  The reason I say 'very likely' is that mine never enumerated via USB, possibly a defect or damage at the CPU's USB pins or connector.  What does work for me is the TTL level data output from another CPU pin, which *is* an ASCII value every second.  The value is in units of uSv/hr x 100, so for 0.01 uSv/hr on the LCD display, the serial output is '1' plus a [CRLF] every second.  The internal software has a smoothing algorithm for the uSv/hr conversion from the GM tube hits.  There is also an LED and a tiny speaker to show the click events, with a button to select LED/silence, no LED/silence, no LED/clicks, or LED/clicks.  Unfortunately, there is no audio jack for the speaker output.

So one way that will work for sure with existing Radlog or Pyradmon software is to solder wires from the speaker to an audio jack, then use the audio input method in the software.

--Bert
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Bert490. Reason: angle brackets around CRLF did not display
The following user(s) said Thank You: steadramon

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds