× For discussion of news and events happening around the world right now

Any increase in radiation with the recent solar storm?

More
2 months 1 week ago #6979 by nzoomed
With all these auroras happening globally, i was expecting a bit of an increase in background radiation with my station, it appears it may have risen a little, but perhaps only about 2CPM more on average, would be interested to hear what others have reported with their stations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #6980 by Simomax
I haven't really noticed anything. My main station (radspod_one) had a tiny increase for an hour or two, but that was yesterday (Sunday 12th) not Saturday. You can see it best on the 7 day graph. Only a couple of CPM increase though. I've not noticed anything on my indoor counters.

More
2 months 1 week ago #6981 by nzoomed
My one is outdoors, seems to be consistent with your readings.

More
2 months 1 week ago #6982 by Simomax
I don't know what all the hype was with the last CME/solar flare. The internet was on fire with nothing but doom. The world was supposed to end on Saturday!   That said, my wife saw the aurora borealis (northern lights) from our back garden in Blackpool. That's the first time I have ever heard anyone seeing it at this part of the UK. I was in bed though, fast asleep! 

For a while now I have wanted a solar flare to show on one of my counters, but so far, nothing. At least nothing that I know of.

More
2 months 1 week ago #6983 by nzoomed

I don't know what all the hype was with the last CME/solar flare. The internet was on fire with nothing but doom. The world was supposed to end on Saturday!   That said, my wife saw the aurora borealis (northern lights) from our back garden in Blackpool. That's the first time I have ever heard anyone seeing it at this part of the UK. I was in bed though, fast asleep! 

For a while now I have wanted a solar flare to show on one of my counters, but so far, nothing. At least nothing that I know of.

Well I certainly have never experienced Aurora before in my part of the country and have only heard such stories about people seeing them 30 years or so ago this far north in New Zealand.
There was apparently some little disruption to power grids in some places, but we have experienced worse.
If we experience another carrington event, we should be worried, that was an X class flare. We were getting close to that territory, but still a bit of a way to go. That being said, there were reports of Auroras seen as far as the equator, so literally the whole globe.
For the first time, myself included, many people around the globe witnessed their first Aurora.
It was pretty damn bright outside when I went to take a look, nothing like I was expecting.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds