Raspberry Pi stability

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #7006 by jnissen
I have been running a Pi to log data for years. I have noticed the past year or so that the site will go offline more and more often, I have changed physical location a few times but the same network WiFi connection. The GMC counter never seems to be offline and in all cases the Pi seems to be the issue.

Any hints to get better service? Thinking of changing the SD card and moving to a wired connection on the Pi. I will soon have plenty of wired access as I have a new network switch with a few open ports. Any other suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #7007 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Raspberry Pi stability
It is very possible the SD card may need replacing. SD cards aren't as hardy as SSDs or conventional hard disks and each sector/block has a finite write cycle, so once it has been written to so many time it will fail if that sector/block is written to again. Replacing the SD card may just solve your issue. I have a old Pi running as a security camera and the card failed in that a few years ago. I replaced it with a good make (Sandisk or Kingston or some other decent make) and it hasn't failed yet, but I am expecting it to go again at some point.

If the Pi is caching on the SD card this can accelerate the deterioration as it will be doing lots of writes. The same goes for anything that writes to the card a lot. Log files, databases and other things like that can impact SD card life.

Moving to a wired ethernet connection is always a good idea if you can do that easily.

Andreas Spiess has just done a video on this:

More
5 days 21 hours ago - 3 days 23 hours ago #7049 by jnissen
Replied by jnissen on topic Raspberry Pi stability
Finally biting the bullet. Had a spare Pi in a drawer so I have the latest software downloading now. Hopefully my detector will be back online soon. Fresh SD card and will try a direct wired connection as well.

Update - Just set the Pi to READ only and use the built in background file system. It writes to RAM as opposed to the SDCARD now. Only needed to be careful to only turn on the READ ONLY section after I was sure everything was working properly.  I also plugged in the Pi so the two should let this setup run for a while before touching it again! Thanks all.
Last edit: 3 days 23 hours ago by jnissen.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds