High readings at FSM19

More
4 years 8 months ago #4502 by FSM19
High readings at FSM19 was created by FSM19
The high readings yesterday were the result of me playing with my new setup. Some were due to a poor connection with the Geiger tube, and others due to the proximity of some sources. I hope to try a new location in the next couple of days, but don't be surprised at strange readings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4511 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic High readings at FSM19
Readings seem a bit strange. Background is a lot higher, on average, than my previous location in West London. My counter is located in a stone built semi-basement at the moment, the stone is mostly schist. There is also a marked diurnal variation, with lows in the night and highs during the day, I think this may be due to out-gassing. I am also about 60k from a former uranium mine. I plan to move the counter, or at least the tube assembly on the next month or so, either outdoors or just inside a window.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4512 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic High readings at FSM19
It is possible you are detecting Radon gas. It is quite common in certain areas of the UK. I have read (on here somewhere I think) most people report finding Radon gas in basements. May be worth trying your counter in another room for a couple of days to see if it stabilizes?

UK Radon gas map: https://www.ukradon.org/information/ukmaps

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4513 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic High readings at FSM19
Actually I am in Portugal I was previously in the UK. Just looked at a map of household radon levels, and the typical level here is 10-100 times that in the previous location. Of course the location of the counter is a serious issue here, currently in a semi basement cellar built from local rock - schist - which is relatively porous. The whole area is highly mineralised with abandoned mines all around including lead, silver, tungsten, manganese and about 20k uranium There are more than 20 abandoned uranium mines east of my location. I am working on a couple of new counters at the moment, one with an exterior probe, and one that will be about 50 metres from the house.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by FSM19.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds