radiation on island, phangan thailand (known), 170cpm... what type?

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #3538 by semiotically
sorry wrong forum, 1st post, thought was in general discussion, if poss. please could Mod. move...

ok so at the ground level radiation is reading 170cpm on pancake meter (mazur prm9000), I think the island is granite one...
at head height was around 100 still.... interestingly the 15cm concrete on ground reduced reading to 90cpm...
all this can be seen in video here: youtube video
ok what I would like opiníon on is %type: alpha, beta, gamma at any one time, gamma from the ground, radon alpha in the air etc...
if you want to go one step further and expand on geiger efficiences and likely real bequerels also please do...
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by semiotically. Reason: need to change forum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #3540 by Bert490
The easiest way to identify Radon (not definitively but at least some confidence) is to put the counter in an air-tight box (e.g. a cooler with a good seal) and keep it closed for at least 4 days. Best would be to log the data with an external computer but internal logs will work. If the level drops by half after 3.8 days, then the source is most likely all Radon. If it drops by 25%, then you would assume half the background is due to Radon, etc. You should see a curve over a week as the Radon decays. Of course there are many variables, Radon levels that change with weather, other sources like the granite, etc. I recommend putting it in a sheltered box outdoors and logging it on Radmon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: semiotically

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #3541 by semiotically
thanks, you might know Tom 'antiprotons', recommended same....
I sent this https://web.facebook.com/158131984738858/photos/a.158414451377278.1073741827.158131984738858/158414071377316/?type=3
or this to Health Physics Society...
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by semiotically. Reason: adding HPS details

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds