Cosmic ray spike, June 25 at 14:58 PDT?

• Sonarflash
  • Sonarflash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Blind since 1966 - 51+ years with insight.
More
7 years 9 months ago #2346 by Sonarflash
Thanks for checking. I just got home from dog-sitting for three days, so I checked my lap-top. The record there showed 138 cpm at 14:58, while the download from the USB-MSP430 module showed 133 cpm. Since my data goes to Radmon averaged over 10 minutes, every 10 minutes, I don't imagine this made a significant difference.

Maybe one of our local ghosts/spirits was trying to get my attention by messing with the computer,.

Now, I've got two separate detectors running. The RM-80 and my GK+ which records on an SD card. If nothing else, I'll get confirmation of a localized event. Both detectors are LND pancake, one 73133, the other 7317.

One of these days I'll find time to set up my twin Russian 220mm tubes and coincidence array with another computer. Three systems should do the trick.
Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2347 by Fenton112
I also run two detectors. GMC-200 permanently placed in a window, and a GMC-320+ that I bring with me. It's interesting to see the different readings around where I live, and compare it to back home.

Here's my data for 6/21. I didn't have any spikes either.
Warning: Spoiler!

• Sonarflash
  • Sonarflash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Blind since 1966 - 51+ years with insight.
More
7 years 9 months ago #2356 by Sonarflash
After checking both sets of data, what occurs to me is the possibility of a localized cosmic ray event. One nasty, high energy particle smashing atoms above my location?

I did get two spikes last year on the same day, both over 70 CPM, one in the morning, the other in the afternoon, about five hours apart. Again, these were when no wires were being touched and the lap-top was quietly recording separate from my desk top.
All very curious and fun. Exactly why I do this.
Brian

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds