Supposed High Readings

• Sonarflash
  • Sonarflash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Blind since 1966 - 51+ years with insight.
More
8 years 3 months ago #1673 by Sonarflash
*East Coast, Southern Vancouver Island, Duncan, British Columbia

Okay, I've been through this before.
My RM-80, LND7313-3 pancake detector is on the window sill of my ground floor apartment, about 1 metre above the flower bed. Closed the window for a couple of days of freezing weather and worried that my indoor radon levels were climbing. Readings went from 32 - 33 CPM to 35 CPM.
So, I cleaned the detector screen with a wash, blew off the mica window, then put the detector in a plastic zip-lock freezer baggie. I also stood the detector on end instead of laying horizontal.
As usual, the readings dropped sharply. Now, the average is down from 35 CPM to 26 CPM. Go figure.
I just laid the detector flat inside the plastic baggie to see if the readings jump back up. Of course, vertical mounting presents less surface area to outer space and horizontal presents the mica window to more cosmic ray products.

My readings for December last year, vertical mount inside a dust proactive nylon camera case were 19 CPM.
So, no matter how I slice and dice readings and consider exposure with detector position, it looks like the rad levels have increased a fair amount.
Brian, VA7BDG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sonarflash
  • Sonarflash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Blind since 1966 - 51+ years with insight.
More
8 years 3 months ago #1674 by Sonarflash
That's supposed to read "protective", not "proactive".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds