Increased CPM with rain and humidity.

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 6 days ago #6770 by Juzzie

Three charts with data for the last 7 Days, Two different locations. 'juzzie' - SBM-19, 'espminid2' - 2x SI-180g, both outdoors, And 'espminid1' - SBT-10a, inside my tool trailer 30m away.
See the spike that was produced during last night's heavy rain.

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 6 days ago by Juzzie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 5 days ago #6778 by Bert490
I recall discussions on this phenomenon some years ago on Netc.com.  Rain washout of Radon and progeny from the sky is often seen on some outdoor detectors.  It would depend on local soil properties and perhaps a low pressure weather cell drawing more air up before the rain.  Here are 2 articles describing it in more detail: Weblog article , Research Journal article .

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #6781 by Juzzie
Yes Bert490, Radon daughters are most probably is the culprit. Also associated with the washout is 7Be, which is a key reason why a swab sample from a collection surface (say, the roof of a shed) giving off persistently high counts weeks after collection.

Data points 313-465 recorded 2 weeks after this swab was collected, and 465 onwards is the swab before collection (placed there in the chart for comparison).
I actually sent a swab like this one to a friend with a gamma scintillator some time ago for testing and the results confirmed the theory

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 5 days ago by Juzzie.

More
6 months 5 days ago #6782 by Juzzie
There is a case study is on the subject here - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15511568/
And an explanation below

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
6 months 3 days ago #6789 by Simomax
I like your graphs Juzzie. Especially in your first post. They look good. What do you use to generate them? 

Going back to the topic; I have had three, maybe four events like that in the past, since 2016. I even wiped a load of dirt from the car after one once. Didn't detect much though. Maybe a few CPM increase, but hard to tell as the counters are very much up and down anyway. I'll have a read of the PDF soon. Looks interesting.

More
6 months 2 days ago - 6 months 2 days ago #6794 by Juzzie

I like your graphs Juzzie. Especially in your first post. They look good. What do you use to generate them? 

I have all my data going into an influxdb database on a Raspberry Pi 4B, and use Grafana for my visualizations. It is very easy to set up using DietPi OS, and super easy to use.
The data for the decay chart was created using an LND-7317 with GK-B5 counter and visualization created with LibreCalc.

Last edit: 6 months 2 days ago by Juzzie.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds