Long response time when submitting data

More
5 years 2 months ago #4255 by ThibmoRozier
Hey, long time no see. :)
I am currently working on a rewrite of PyRadmon-reborn and adding ssl support to it.
I did a couple of submissions (a couple of times I sent the wrong password, whoops.) and noticed that the submission of data takes longer then the 10 second timeout.
I also noticed that on the first successful submission it replied that it couldn't create the user directory (IIRC, forgot to copy-paste the response..)

Maybe I am using a legacy call, not sure.

What I am using right now:
GET /radmon.php?user=<username>&password=<password>&function=submit&datetime=<datetime in "yyyy-mm-dd%20HH:MM:SS">&value=<CPM val>&unit=CPM HTTP/1.1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #4266 by mw0uzo
You're not the only one that has reported this, Frank has too. I have changed the submit code quite a lot, due to the new user registration system integration. I wonder if I have made a mistake, or perhaps doing something in an inefficient way.

I would put a 30s timeout on the request, as sometimes connections can be slow/flaky. Ages ago at the start of radmon.org I put a 10s timeout in RadLog and that caused problems.

Can you double check to see if it still takes ages to submit? Is it consistently slow? Are you testing to your main account? I can check if it's slow here too and dig into it.

More
5 years 2 months ago #4267 by ThibmoRozier
It's between 10 and 20 seconds. I put the timeout to 60 seconds for now.
Maybe it's the password safe hashing for user auth?

Don't know, Blowfish can be slow at times.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #4286 by mw0uzo
Ok this is weird. I have tested value submission here locally with my account and yours and its practically instantaneous.
What is the ping time for radmon.org from your computer?
What is the load time for thingmon.org from your computer?
I can think of a few bottlenecks, let's eliminate them.
1) my network/router/connection
Here is speedtest.net results. This is with server running and all the other usual household things. Ping 9ms - router ok. Download 48.3Mbps. Upload 8.74Mbps. It's not the greatest internet speed about 1.25MB/s upload for serving the website, however...
2) webpagetest.org
https://www.webpagetest.org/result/190126_56_6b9728dd78203340b72401a225503634/
About 3s to load and display the front map page. That's pretty good, Byte count at document complete 416kB. Byte count at all displayed 773kB. That's not bad either considering the bitmap load for displaying the map tiles, which is also two layers. This may improve timewise as we move over to serving tiles from here.
For comparison our friends over at radioactiveathome.org have the following test result for their map page
https://www.webpagetest.org/result/190126_C3_1cbbe9a7302cf6648aa8ec930ac1e65e/
Faster and more data efficient than radmon.org, 392kB loaded, 496kB displayed, display time 2.3s. but we're at least in the same ballpark and the differences are sensible given map size and # of map layers difference.
For laughs I tested independent.co.uk, which has always been a particularly annoying slug for me - no freaking wonder
https://www.webpagetest.org/result/190126_7R_c1c95d8a179d1bc89d7b42a3c3af1551/
17s complete load time and 4.5Mb of data.
...all that data for such worthless content...
...anyway...

this could be interesting, as the bottleneck is somewhere else.
Something... inbetween... adding latency...
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by mw0uzo.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #4287 by ThibmoRozier
The report I made was from my work's network, we do have DPI enabled there, which might have had an impact.
Let's enable debug on my pi.

// Updated
At home it's pretty much instant:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by ThibmoRozier.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds