OMG Ants have made a nest under the server

More
7 years 9 months ago #2360 by mw0uzo
Afternoon all :)
I can see there are a few stations to add, I will get onto that later on today.
Having a bit of a tidy up and vacuum here and I have discovered part of an ants nest under the server!!!! :ohmy:
I don't know yet if they have got into the unit itself. Probably.
I'm going to check it out and see what needs to be done. The server will probably go up and down today a few times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2361 by mw0uzo
Popped the cover, no ants thankfully.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2363 by Frank
Now that's a first :blink: hope all is well!

More
7 years 9 months ago #2368 by Juzzie
I have a constant battle with insects "attacking” my stations. Mostly spiders and little mosquito type cretins that they feed on. It's the light from all those LEDs and the little wiff of warmth that they come for...
The latest gap in my data was caused by a tiny katydid standing on a usb/ttl converter, which caused one of those usb disconnect errors on the RPi.

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2374 by OldMule
Oh my! That kind of thing is where the computer "bug" term came from originally though!
Once you've taken care of the initial little boogers, try putting some diatomaceous earth (fossilized single-celled algae shells) in the area. Kills all bugs, won't hurt birds, dogs or lizards etcetera (though probably not good for froggies and other things that need moist skin). It's sold as horse wormer in the states. It's also sold as a calcium supplement in Germany called kieselerde. Basically it shreds their carapace, and since it works mechanically, they can't develop a resistance and the survivours will learn to avoid the area, and at the same time doesn't hurt other critters. (it's good for chickens and cows, too! You'll find tons of uses for it online)

Important to note: The stuff sold as horse wormer is perfectly safe (food grade's good too of course, but tends to be more pricey for what amounts to the same product), but the stuff sold for pools will hurt critters -humans included- if ingested, because it's been heated and that changes the crystalline structure, making it do about the same thing to ones innards as the regular stuff does to bugs.

Also, sometimes, when sold for farm animals, diatomaceous earth has bentonite clay in with it, and that's okay too... actually, that's good for getting radiation out of the body. The downside is, well, it's clay so it tastes like dirt. I've had the best luck getting it down the ol' gullet when mixed with chocolate milk.

I hope this helps!

P.S. I'm new here and this is my first post! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juzzie

More
7 years 9 months ago #2376 by Juzzie
Thanks, just ordered some. Will give it a try...

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds