Minimum submission time

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
9 months 3 weeks ago #6500 by Simomax
Hello all,

I have made the minimum CPM submission time no less than 30 seconds. If any station tries to submit less than 30 seconds since the last submission, it will fail with a 'Too soon' message (if reading the server response) and won't submit the CPM reading.

The reason for this is to manage the database size. It is currently just short of 11 gigabytes in size. The database currently keeps the past 2 years of records the removes any records older. Some users have been submitting results every 5/10 seconds and this just creates more data with little real use. The graphs don't have the resolution to show readings every 5 seconds, or 10 seconds, nor is there currently any way to drill down into the records (yet - it's on my list for future stuff) so all it is doing is bloating the database unnecessarily, and thus I have capped the submission interval to 30 seconds minimum. This still equates to about 2 million records over two years. At 1 minute submission intervals this would be about 1 million records in two years without downtime etc. The database will only grow even though only two years are kept as users come and go. When a user goes away the data is still kept until they next submit a reading. If no submission is made, the data stays as is and so, over time, the database will grow with old records.

Can everyone that knows that their submission interval is less than 30 seconds, or those that don't know their submission interval, please check and adjust to the minimum of 30 seconds. My personal preference is a 1 minute submission interval (unless testing/experimenting) as with an application like radmon and background monitoring there is little to be gained from 30 second intervals compared to 1 minute intervals. I have mentioned this on another post some time ago, but can't remember which off the top of my head. In a SHTF situation, 30 seconds is not going to make hardly any difference. Unless someone is constantly watching and refreshing the page, then 30 seconds is negligible. The only users that had email alerts (until yesterday) were Radlog users, so unless constantly watching the CPM no body would be aware of a SHTF scenario.

I hope all that makes sense. If anyone disagrees with this, or has other ideas, I would be very interested to know.

Cheers

~Simomax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Simomax
More
9 months 3 weeks ago #6501 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Minimum submission time
The data retention period for users that have donated should be 5 years. I don't think this was ever written into code when radmon was re-written. I'll do this soon so then users that have donated will have 5 years data retention and users that haven't will have 2 years. This will come into use in the future when I write some code for drilling down into historic results, and maybe some dynamic graphs or something.

• Simomax
More
9 months 2 weeks ago #6517 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Minimum submission time
Okay, I have done that. Users that have donated have a data retention period of 5 years, users that haven't have a data retention period of 2 years.

More
9 months 4 days ago #6553 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Minimum submission time
That is a great policy, and encourages more donations.  Thanks for the thoughtful upgrades!

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds