Verification email issues for new registrations

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #6314 by Simomax
It has recently become apparent that some of the big email providers (Google, Microsoft, Yahoo etc.) have been blocking emails from the radmon.org server. Well, not exactly blocking them, more just letting them drift off into the ether and not get to their destination. It haven't been noticed in the past as no NDR's (non-delivery report) were sent back, but on actually testing I can verify emails don't get to @outlook and @gmail, and nothing is received back. I have personally been in this position in the past with my own servers and knowing what I have learned from back then it pointed me right to the issue. It really does seem that the big players do not like to receive emails from 'little' servers. One time they did, then you had to ask for permission from them, now it's like they just route the mail into the gutter...

So, what to do about it? We are going to try and route all outgoing emails through a VPS server that sits in a data center. The big players don't see the VPS as a 'little' server, and will happily receive email from there, so routing the emails from the radmon.org server to the VPS should fix the problem. But it ain't going to happen right away as I personally know nothing about linux email, yet. (I also have another 1001 things on my list!) Once I have learned how to go about it and tested we will just implement it right away, so for now...

If you can, please do not use any of the major email providers (Google, Microsoft, Yahoo etc. = @gmail, @googlemail, @hotmail, @outlook, @yahoo etc.) for radmon.org registrations until this is fixed. If you do have a stuck registration and never received the verification email then head over to the chat room, find me, 'Simomax', at the top right of the chat, click the name, then hit 'send message' and send me the email address you used when registering and the username you chose and I will manually activate the account. If you have no other option other than one of the email providers listed, then register and head over to the chat and leave a message for me with your username and email address.

Alternatively, send me an email at the following address: Please send me the email address and username you entered when creating your account. If these don't match then I won't do anything about it. These have to match for security reasons.

Cheers!

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Simomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #6324 by Bert490
Good analysis.  I was wondering why email alerts were not working recently, such as station not reporting.  I also have not been able to get my home surveillance cameras to send a motion alert for some time now.  I can understand why the email providers might drop such auto-generated email; if the sending device is misconfigured, it can be like a DOS attack.  The definition of a 'big' server via a VPS/VPN provider that is honoured for email forwarding may require a sysadmin contact to answer and react to excessive emails above an agreed baseline.

Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Bert490.

• Simomax
More
1 year 3 months ago #6340 by Simomax
Hey everyone,

I hope you all had a great day yesterday!

I have created a specific email address for login issues. If you are having issues logging in then please read the top post and send me the email address and username you entered when you tried to create your account. The email address and username must match for security reasons.

You can contact me at the following email address:  

Cheers

~Simomax
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #6345 by DonZalmrol
I might be able to shine some light on this, it looks like radmon.org is blacklisted by Spamhaus ZEN.
Its most likely caused because some standard records aren't in place e.g. SPF, DMARC, DKIM.

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3aradmon.org&run=toolpage

SPF, DMARC, DKIM: https://ibb.co/d0CTSqG
Blacklist: https://ibb.co/bdzV2Pt

If these aren't in place any other mailserver in the world will be able to "spoof" the radmon.org domain and sent out fake mails.
Nowadays bigger players such as Google are starting to penalize domains that don't have these records in use to prevent spam.

Simply create the correct records in the DNS settings where the radmon.org domain is hosted and also ask the ISP of the fixed IP to include a reverse A-record for the mail server that's being used.

Goodluck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simomax

• Simomax
More
1 year 2 months ago #6346 by Simomax
That's good info, DonZalmrol. Thank you for that. I'll look into it.

More
1 year 2 months ago #6347 by DonZalmrol
no sweat! If you have questions you can always PM me.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds