radmon.org outage 28/3 - 01/06

More
2 years 9 months ago #5742 by mw0uzo
Hi all
Unfortunately we suffered another outage due to another failed database storage! Typically (and more than should happen by chance!) this occured when I was away and also had relatives visiting, so I was not able to fix it for a short while. It's all back up and running with no data loss.
Dan
mw0uzo

The following user(s) said Thank You: FSM19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #5743 by FSM19
Thanks Dan! I guessed what had happened. I had a spell with no uploads due to my ISP. Hope to get it rectified when they get fibre alid on to our village. Don't hold your breath though, they've been promising fibre for the last four years. We are probably pretty low on their agenda as our village only has 26 inhabitants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

More
2 years 9 months ago #5744 by DonZalmrol
Dang, thanks for getting radmon back online!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

More
2 years 9 months ago #5747 by mw0uzo
The new 'endurance' sd card storage has arrived. I wonder how this will hold up? I'll need to stop database operations and copy over the information, so there will be some downtime. This will be done in the next week or two, so expect an outage at some point.

More
2 years 9 months ago #5749 by DonZalmrol
Wouldn't a low cost SSD be more durable then an SD card? :)

More
2 years 9 months ago #5750 by Radslug
Everyone sending in data + database transaction logging & journaling + OS file system journaling is a LOT of writes every minute. In my research for work I found that it can led to 1% wear even on our fancy enterprise SSD drives. On a SD card depending on how the writes are handled, even file system journaling can overwhelm cell capacity/longevity if not set to batch the writes together as much as possible. If the OS is set to be flash-friendly, database logging & transactions can do the same.
Is it possible the flash is seeing excessive wear & if so can the FS & DB be set to only dump to disk at a much larger time interval?

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds