Autunite mineral

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
4 years 7 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #4737 by Simomax
Autunite mineral was created by Simomax
I have just received my latest specimen, Autunite. It is quite fantastic! It is tiny, quite spicy and fluoresces like I have never seen before. The pictures don't do it justice as the colour is strikingly vibrant and has more of a yellow than green fluorescence. I struggled taking photos of it due to the amount of light it produces when it fluoresces. Like trying to take pictures of a light bulb! I took a few pictures with differing light levels. A selection are below. 22,000 CPM on a SBM-20 is quite spicy! Very happy with it.

"Autunite (hydrated calcium uranyl phosphate), with formula Ca(UO2)2(PO4)2·10–12H2O, is a yellow-greenish fluorescent phosphate mineral...
...Due to the moderate uranium content of 48.27% it is radioactive and also used as uranium ore"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autunite
There are a couple of sellers on ebay at the time of writing with some specimens. Search for 'Autunite'.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Simomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4738 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Autunite mineral
Ah wow, that is an interesting material. That's really quite radioactive too, those close up photos are great! 22.5kCPM!

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4755 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Autunite mineral
There was an error in the photo with the Geiger count (so I removed it). The tube conversion factor was out by around a factor of 10 as it was setup for a different tube. What showed as 14.4 uSv/h was in fact 131.4 uSv/h. That's quite spicy! :blink:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Simomax.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds