UK Air Quality data/map/community

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
6 years 7 months ago #3580 by Simomax
Hey all,

I'm working on an air quality monitoring project for home. I was wondering if anyone knew of an air quality monitoring site, like this site but for air quality? If there isn't anything there that covers the UK would anyone in the UK be interested in such a system? Similar to radmon, but for air quality. It's just a mere thought at the moment, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #3581 by Bert490
You may have seen this, but https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/ shows a colour map with date-based queries. If you zoom into a region, the stations show up and graphs are available.

• Simomax
More
6 years 7 months ago #3582 by Simomax
Thanks Bert490. Yeah, i have seen that. I was thinking more crowd sourced data rather than government. There is one site already (http://luftdaten.info/) but it is German and I don't speak German so a bit of a struggle for me.

More
6 years 7 months ago #3585 by bethsalem
I have a Chinese sourced air quality meter which sits outside and gives a reading every second. There is a way to store the data, but I haven't gotten around to doing this yet. I also have an Eve Elgato and an Oregon Scientific air quality meter, but they both use a closed system where you can only privately share data with "friends". I would be open to joining an air quality aggregation site similar to Radmon.

• Simomax
More
6 years 7 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #3587 by Simomax
I've been working on this over the weekend. I have a working model that samples and logs every 5 minutes into various .csv files that are used for drawing graphs. It is a work in progress, still much to do. Take a look here: http://www.dreamtechnologies.co.uk/airquality/

Please ignore the data as it is not accurate as is just for testing purposes at the moment. I'll be dumping the collected data and starting from scratch when I get this into an enclosure and mounted properly outside.

The hardware is very simple. An ESP8266 (Wemos D1 Mini), I2C LCD driver, 16x2 LCD and a Nova SDS011 PM2.5/PM10 sensor. The software on the ESP8266 simply wakes up the sensor for 20 seconds along with the built in wifi, then records the last sample, puts the sensor to sleep for 5 m inutes and shoots it to my web server where some PHP does the magic and writes the log files etc. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Along the road of making and programming this it has become apparent that an open system (like Radmon) is a very big task. Much larger that I had originally thought. While doable there are some fundamental things I need to address in order to make an open system as reliable as possible. It would require such things as error checking to make sure the data is correct on transmission/reception (implement a checksum?) etc. For now, I'm going to get my personal system tip-top, then maybe look at opening it up later for other users. I'll see what other people think about this.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Simomax.

More
6 years 7 months ago #3588 by bethsalem
Looks a very interesting project. I have the ESP8266 and a 128x64, 0.96inch OLED screen from another project which could be used on this. I estimate that you could probably buy all the necessary hardware and a case for about 40 pounds sterling?

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds