How to connect my Geiger counter to ethernet?

More
7 years 4 months ago #2668 by Bert490
I don't use the PI for my Radmon submissions, but I'm pretty sure it can use either a data or audio input to the PI, so if you can hear clicks from your GK kit using headphones then it should work that way. If there is a serial data output, it may also work that way. Have you checked the 'Download' section? It is called Pyradmon and is a Python script. I don't think the RPi needs to be a special one, likely a RPi2 model B will work; the RPi3 model B works for sure. I just looked at the installation instructions, and it links to the forum conversation about the installation rather than to step-by-step instructions, but instructions may be in there.

The GK-Wi-Fi kit as you discovered may not be compatible. It seems to be designed for the actual GK kits, and your kit's software seems to be adapted from the GK software, but its output format changed to use Radiation Logger software instead.

I now see your kit has a beeper and no audio jack. I fear there is no easy way to connect that kit to this site. If you are willing to give it a try anyway, I would recommend hacking a headphone jack onto the kit circuit board near the beeper so DC pulses can be sent to the RPi. The RPi will need an audio-to-USB microphone adapter. Hopefully the installation discussion gives a part number.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #2669 by Martinov
Thank you for the answer Bert!
Yesterday I ordered GK WiFi Kit. The seller told me that he will program it standard and when it comes here I'll try to connect it with my Geiger counter... and I'll say the result here :)
I hope it will work! If it doesn't work, may be I'll try with Pyramidon. But further... "not enough minerals" as it said in one old game :)
Thanks again for the advice and we will find out soon I hope :)

More
7 years 4 months ago #2670 by BroHogan
It's true that the GK-WiFi kit is designed to work with my Geiger kits (GK-B5, GK-Plus, and GK-Mini).
It connects to the serial output from the kit, and waits for data. When data is received it sends it to radmon.org (and optionally other sites) via WiFi.

The knock-off kit from Lithonia (conveniently named something like "Arduino GK Kit " is based on an old version of my board. So he uses my sw and modifies it for his use. Therefore, I don't know if it's serial output is still compatible with the GK-WiFi board. I guess we will see!

[Shameless plug coming :) ] For those who would like to connect to radmon.org (and optionally ThingSpeak and Sparkfun) I offer a complete monitoring solution. It includes the Geiger counter and also connects via WiFi. You can find more on this kit https://sites.google.com/site/diygeigercounter/gk-radmon.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martinov

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #2678 by Martinov
Aaaand the result is: Perfect! It work perfect! :)
We've tryied to connect BroHogan's GK WiFi Kit with my type of GK - Arduino IDE compatible DIY kit Geiger radiation counter and it work very well. This would not have happened without the help of John who given me advices all the time because there were few problems... because of me of course :D Will add some pictures to illustrate how I switch on the system. I hope to be helpfully to someone, sometime :)

P.S.: To work correctly, you should connect 5V DC on the GK WiFi side. If you put 5 or 9V on the normal side - on the GK DC in - it wouldn't work with connected LCD shield and GK WiFi in same time (honestly I don't know why, probalby by voltage drop). On the GK WiFi board (on the bottom, male pins side) - the 4th pin is (+) and the 5th pin is (-) -> from left to right. 6th pin is unuseble. That's all I think. Sorry for the late edit :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Martinov.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

More
7 years 4 months ago #2682 by Juzzie
Well done! :D

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

More
7 years 4 months ago #2685 by Frank
Cool, way to go! :)

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds