Cosmic Background Peaks

• Sonarflash
  • Sonarflash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Blind since 1966 - 51+ years with insight.
More
2 years 5 months ago #5857 by Sonarflash
Late spring of 2021, my readings were averaging around 60 CPM with a Russian CI22G, 22mm X 220mm glass GM tube. Then, in July and August they started jumping. Apparently earth isn't as well protected because of the solar minimum.  This month, October 2021, readings has been higher, sometimes jumping above 115 CPM, making me show up on alerts. I changed settings in Profile, but they haven't kicked in yet.
Here's my readings from October 1 to October 8, 2021: Oct. 8, 2021
    74.28, 75.53, 74.59, 77.23, 80.14, 77.07, 75.4, 74.35
For a while, I wondered if my GM tube was dying, cascading or not quenching as it should.
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #5858 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Cosmic Background Peaks
Interesting trend.  I tried to correlate your yearly trend with other sites, with mixed results.  About 12 Radmon sites nearby and around the world did not match your graph.  So I don't think it's related to Cosmic or solar effects.  Over at NETC.com, several EPA sites (5: prefix) match your graph somewhat, while others show the opposite trend or none at all.  It's possibe your detector is responding to seasonal variations in Radon exhalation from the ground.

• Sonarflash
  • Sonarflash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Blind since 1966 - 51+ years with insight.
More
2 years 5 months ago #5859 by Sonarflash
Replied by Sonarflash on topic Cosmic Background Peaks
Hi,
As a ham, I heard about a CME that hit October 11, with effects on October 12. On October 9, I clean wiped my GM tube, then wrapped it in grounded aluminum foil. Here's what happened the past 4 days:
Oct. 9 74.8, Oct 10 77.66, Oct 11 78.26, Oct 12 81.06, Oct 13 81.89.
I wonder if this is just radon in my bedroom. I'm making certain there's no dust collecting on the foil wrap. It's grounded to block RF from my ham tranceiver, and the peaks don't corelate to the few times I've checked in on the 80 metre net at 7:15 pm.
I'll check to see if any other Canadian stations got higher counts on the last two days.
Brian

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds