New radiation measurement aggregation site

More
6 years 8 months ago #3323 by Bert490
The EC has a comprehensive map with near-real-time government Gamma readings from more counties than before https://remap.jrc.ec.europa.eu/GammaDoseRates.aspx . I may be late discovering this, but I'm passing it on anyway. Hearing about a forest fire in the Chernobyl exclusion zone yesterday made me check the Eurdep map http://eurdepweb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/EurdepMap/Default.aspx , which has no sensors in Ukraine or Belarus. Then I found this Remap site, which has many more sensors (I found no noticeable rise in the sensors near Chernobyl). What surprised me was this site includes readings from my own country (Canada), who is painfully slow in releasing its data to the public on their own website (over 6 months). Now I see data from just 2.5 hours ago! Thank you EC for giving me access to my own government's data.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #3324 by Radslug
Wonderful news, but given how certain governments (Japan, Canada, USA) acted in the aftermath of the Fukushima meltdown, I'm going to treat them as merely a nice mash-up, not a primary data source or direct data repository. In other words, I'm going to keep sending my data to private sites & supporting them. Which reminds me, time to donate...

More
6 years 8 months ago #3326 by Bert490
That's right, private data is true real-time at radmon, Netc, uRADMonitor and such, while these government readings are all delayed by at least 4 hours.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #3341 by Sonarflash
Last week I wasted hours trying to find current data from the Canadian FPSN (Fixed Point Surveillance Network). I've been reviewing their data over the past couple of years and putting it into Excel. I only just noticed that they stopped posting in 2016, and only up to September. Nothing for the last quarter, and nothing for 2017. Even more fun and time wasted, trying to locate a e-mail contact that worked so I could ask what is happening. Anybody know? Likely political cuts.
By the way, my readings have been going down slightly this past month.

July 19, 2017, -- The other night I went to the Fixed Point Surveillance Network and voila, several months late, they have posted the last quarter data for 2016. Also, they have posted the first three months of 2017. One could wish that my contact comments and searching for this data got somebody off their duff?
. :oops:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Sonarflash. Reason: Updated info on comment

More
6 years 8 months ago #3365 by Sonarflash
Not only are the Canadian FPSN (Fixed Point Surveillance Network) readings delayed in posting by months, but all the data is processed. One might say laundered. Heaven forbid they should have standardized GM tubes at the same locations giving us real-time counts per minute. Knowing what kind of tube and the system specs would enable many thousands of us to draw informed conclusions.
Their postings of KERMA (Kenetic Energy deposited in Matter) in nanogray seem extremely low when compared with my own readings from various detectors and setups.
Also, if anybody is interested, the FPSN just updated their web site data with 2017, and the last quarter data for 2016. This happened in the last few weeks. More laundry?

More
6 years 3 months ago #3727 by ralphemorgan
Australia doesn't appear on the European map, but at least our official radiation monitoring site data is available live online ( http://www.ansto.gov.au/Resources/Localenvironment/Atmosphericmonitoring/Radiationmonitoring/index.htm ). On the downside there is only the one 'official' monitoring site in Australia, located in the suburb adjacent to our one and only research reactor at Lucas Heights ;) For any indication of elevated radiation readings elsewhere (eg. WA, NT, QLD) that might come from a different source, we have to rely on private data sources and aggregators like radmon.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds