High readings in Stockholm, Sweden

More
8 years 5 months ago #1565 by Gamma-Man
European Union has a web site where you may see the radiation levels that the EU member states wants you to see.
http://eurdepweb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/EurdepMap/Default.aspx
I do not know if that may be of interest for you since you have forgotten to modify your profile here with you location and therefore I can not see in which part of the world you are living.
As you can see from that site, Sweden, where I am living, have very few measuring points whilst Germany for example seems to have one for every citizen;-)

I can not see that there should have been any radiation outburst that could explain the abnormal reading from my station.
I guess I have to set up an trail cam to verify who´s cat in my neighborhood that has undergone medical radiotherapy....

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1566 by Sonarflash
"Yes I probably could find out the wind direction, but so could you."
Actually, that might be a bit difficult. I'm blind, using a screen reader and most web sites don't give that kind of data in text format, just fancy graphics images and maps, so I seldom bother searching. Besides, it was just a notion, since the Chernobyl coffer is breaking down, and the potential for release is always there.
Politics is always meddling in 'science' and with the 'experts'. Based on my reading of the history, the 'scientists' didn't do such a great job in the 80's, during and after the disaster. Both east and west did their best to cover up and muddle the truth regarding what happened and just how much radiation was released. Now, the coffer is cracking, crumbling, and generally leaking, but all those scientists and engineers can't do anything without a few billion dollars investment. And, wasn't it Sweden, Denmark, Finland, England and Germany who got most of the original fallout?

As mentioned, it was just a suggestion. Perhaps you did get visited by a radioactive cat or just an electronic glitch, like an EMP or harmonics from a passing radio transmitter.

Here in Canada, we can access the government rad net, for what that's worth, if you want fudged data in pico-gray per month.
I did complete my profile, and my address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., which is also in my "Stations" listing, under "Sonarflash" (acronym for the blind dude).
Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gamma-Man

More
8 years 5 months ago #1567 by Gamma-Man
I did not know of your blindness, otherwise I had expressed myself in another way.

Yes, the so called sarcophagus of reactor building 4 in Chernobyl is cracking down and this has been ongoing since the accident. Of course this is scary but in the matter of radioactivity I feel myself more scared about NPP´s and other places that we do not know of and that people do not talk about.
About the fallout, I have heard that their neighbors Belarus and Russia got the mainpart and Sweden just got some few percentage, but that was a few percentage to much.

Have you checked the link to European Union´s web site eurdepweb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/EurdepMap/Default.aspx and was it useable for you?

For some reason I did not look at the "stations" listing, I just used the link from your alias in the message and then I got to your profile page that has missing information about Location, Gender and Birthdate. All of those is non mandatory but can be good to know sometimes.

Thanks for listening to me.

Carl

More
8 years 5 months ago #1568 by Bert490
A common reason for local spikes which has not yet been mentioned here is Radon. One author states that on the average, about six atoms of radon emerge form every square inch of soil every second. [Reference: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radon.html ]
According to the US EPA, during a light rain, or if there is an overcast sky with an inversion, radon can concentrate near the ground, setting off our detectors. If samples decay by half in about 4 days, then it was likely Radon, but some short spikes in the USA have been attributed to Fukushima emissions (even this year). What I have not seen is a study of whether a geiger tube on a dust filter can actually catch Radon gas itself or the more sticky solid progeny that have different half-lives. If a pocket of Radon does appear near the ground, I think it is not likely to stay still long enough to measure the half-life.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1570 by Juzzie
Radon spikes happen here most days - The form of a spike can tell a lot about its origin...
Below are radon spikes in Southern Tasmania

And below here is gamma-man's spike

If a spike has an abrupt start and ending then imo it is usually either equipment failure or... a cat :)
Gamma-man's data history below shows signs of equipment failure.

... And not many signs of radon swings. :dry:

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Juzzie.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1637 by Gamma-Man
Now I have set up a camera at http://nanotech2.com:81/ guest/123456 to keep track of which cat that is radioactive in my area.

/Carl

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds