Change to detector

More
7 years 7 months ago #2501 by Bert490
Change to detector was created by Bert490
I have changed my setup so my GMC-200 is feeding 2 sites via an audio splitter and 2 microphones, just like Frank (thanks for the tip!). One result is that my CPM readings on Radmon are now more accurate and not low by 1.7x. I did this to free up my other detector for some experiments, to see if there is any correlation of rising background levels and dead, leaking nuclear powered satellites. Once I get it set up, I'll post some photos. Basically It's a lead box with an open top and adjustable cover. My first order of business is to modify the detector to have an audio output so readings are not filtered by it's internal software (it displays an averaged level in uSv/hr).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2503 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Change to detector
Nice, and yup, been running like this for almost 2 years now, feeding 2 sites. Just had a weird thing happen, not with the detector, but my Radlog program just crashed. Been running fine for some time now and all of a sudden, looked up and fatal error with the program :( restarted it and now back to the error submitting to the Radlog site again, unless Dan is doing something there. Uploading/ftp'ing my chart fine to my webpage, just line after line of failures sending to Radlog again. All other programs running ok on same PC. No problem sharing the info on the splitting of the audio line, Glad I could help. :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #2504 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Change to detector
Ah, now I know its not me, taking forever to even get on here, the forum. Other websites come right up, no wonder its timing out trying to send data to the Radlog site, something is slowing it down between here and there. :\

More
7 years 7 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #2520 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Change to detector
My setup is a set of 6 lead sheets, 1/16" or 1.6mm thick, bonded to thin plywood for strength and wrapped in clear tape to prevent direct skin contact:

These slide into a simple cardbord box, then the detector is put inside:

The lead effectively stops radiation from my Uranium Glass beads, but unfortunately it does not seem to reduce the background radiation reading. I was hoping to see a significant drop and then play with the cover opening to check with satellite passes, but this will not work for me. I have to conclude that the detector is getting mostly beta from the beads (Uranium decay products), and background here is mostly gamma. To stop all gamma except from above, this experiment really needs lead bricks, I guess.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Bert490. Reason: embed images in message

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds