Station troubles

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1713 by Bert490
Station troubles was created by Bert490
My station is reading zero, and it's the detector itself. Something is wrong inside, so I will have to check all the electronic components. I'll use experiment mode until it's fixed. Counts for Toronto are still available at Netc.com from my other sensor, a GMC-200.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Bert490. Reason: other site ref.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1715 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Station troubles
Which unit is it that's not working?

More
8 years 3 months ago #1719 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Station troubles
It's a kit using the SBM-20 designed and sold by the team at Radioactive@home. It's the latest iteration of their series and I think it's a good design, though it was not a full kit, just the critical stuff. My USB output never worked but the serial output does and I thank Radlog for being able to contribute readings. My troubleshooting will consist of testing the 400V circuit and then the pulse detector. I'm hoping to find an intermittent joint, as it seemed to work for a bit then off and on again. The LCD display and micro seem OK.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1839 by Bert490
I finally received my replacement GM tube (SBM-20), and the detector is working again.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #1843 by Bert490
Well, it turned out the new tube didn't really help; it was likely a bad wire to the tube. I had previously re-done all the high voltage solder joints and after re-doing all the others it still was unreliable. When the tube wire fully broke and was replaced, it started working again. All my multimeter and oscilloscope checks didn't reveal this. High voltage can be wierd (or maybe it's age-related...mine, that is)
My Graph
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Bert490.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1844 by DExUS
Replied by DExUS on topic Station troubles
Yup, you can measure HV even when there is a bad connection to some extent, however if you put load on it it wont be conductive depends on the current.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds