Coincidence Detector

More
9 years 3 months ago #521 by bethsalem
Dan, what is the possibility of you connecting two of your radmon-20 boxes together to make a Coincidence Detector to detect radiation from cosmic rays?

When your radmon-20 box shows up my NetIO GC-10 device will be redundant and I was wondering if it could be modded to work together with your box to function as a coincidence detector?

Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #522 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Coincidence Detector
I don't know. Do the tubes have to be very close together? It would be possible, if using the audio method, to sample two channels at once instead of one and only count pulses that were coincident. I'd have to look into it, I vaguely remember reading a web page about a load of SBM-20 tubes arranged in a circle.

More
9 years 3 months ago #523 by Tine
Replied by Tine on topic Coincidence Detector
What about taking all detections on the whole site and comparing them for ultra wide radiation.
(country/state wide detection of radiation WAVES would be possible?)

Not exactly what you are talking about, but for cosmic detection of celestial events...

The universe is a living enigma, and you, are its child.

Despite the enigma of the singularity, the big bang theory is unquestionably one of the most successful ideas in the history of science. —Tom Yulsman, Astronomy, September 1999

More
9 years 3 months ago #526 by bethsalem
Replied by bethsalem on topic Coincidence Detector
BlackCat Systems used to, or still do, offer a coincidence system. I mentioned it because it could mean that redundant or surplus geigers could be put to new use.

More
9 years 3 months ago #527 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Coincidence Detector
It would certainly be possible with audio mode. But not with serial mode.
It's something to think about, RadLog would have to be rearranged a bit to allow any number of audio counting processes.

So, if two tubes a reasonable distance apart tick at the same time, that would be a burst of cosmic radiation?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank

More
9 years 3 months ago #528 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Coincidence Detector
I am liking this audio side of the program and was in thoughts of making another unit and somehow shielding it to a point and measure the comic part of it. Would be interesting to see what happens during a solar event. But that would be cool if you could do the left and right channels of the audio input and run two units using the audio into a stereo plug into the PC and measure to different inputs. I like that idea :)

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds