Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Prepping, emergency plans, shelters etc

TOPIC: Iodine pills

Iodine pills 1 year 1 month ago #2562

• Bert490
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 63
This has been brought up before by Carl (Gamma-Man), but I thought I'd re-start it here in the new topic area. As most already know, radioactive I-131 produced by a nuclear leak (or blast) that is inhaled or ingested will tend to be absorbed by the thyroid gland, unless it is already full of Iodine. Swallowing a Potassium Iodide pill before the dust arrives is everyone's best bet to avoid any resulting thyroid cancer. Those living near Nuclear Plants may have easier access to Potassium Iodide, either by pre-distribution or by local stockpiles (see previous topic discussion).

For preparedness, having them at home is better than waiting for a stockpile location to open up or negotiating lineups. I bought some online (iosat brand), which expire in 2021. The ones I got from the government (once I discovered they offer them if you live close enough and ask) expire in 2026. The ideal case would be to have each family member have one pill with them at all times.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Iodine pills 1 year 1 month ago #2563

• Gamma-Man
  • Thank you received: 7
Yes we shall not forget this and as I wrote before it can be good to know how long time it will take for the wind to reach you in an outburst.
And about pills, here in Sweden the authorities claims that it is of no use to take pills if you have reached the honorable age of 40 (but I have my pills hidden from the authorities)....

Carl
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds