Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ideas for new outdoor Geiger counter

Ideas for new outdoor Geiger counter 8 months 3 weeks ago #2999

• Simomax
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hey all,

I'm going to build a new additional Geiger counter for outdoor monitoring and would appreciate thoughts/feedback on my initial thoughts of the build.

I'm going to use two SI22G tubes (www.pocketmagic.net/tube-si-22g-c%D0%B8-...itive-geiger-muller/). One will be unshileded and the other covered with 2-4mm aluminium shielding. This will enable me to detect beta and gamma with one tube and just gamma with the shielded tube. I was also planning mount them both hosizontally with a good 4mm of lead sheet between the tubes to enable coincidence counting (muons/cosmic rays) pretty much just for fun.

For the electronics I am planning on using an arduino mega 2560 as it has 6 interrupts as opposed to 2 on the uno and also has 4 serial ports which would be handy for reporting to multiple systems/loggers etc. I will probably add ethernet so I can send the readings directly to a web page for logging to a MySQL database or something similar for logging and creating graphs. Or maybe a couple of instances of Radlog (not sure if this would be logged on the radmon system though - thoughts on this?) via two serial adapters. The coincidences would have to be determined by the arduino on the fly so I will need some kind of other logging solution anyway.

So basically all that wrapped up in a housing outside just like my NetIO GC10 that I currently use for monitoring (which I do plan on keeping alive and running and logging to radmon as my primary logger)

One thing I am not too sure about is whether to make a seperate power supply for each tube or just have one power supply for both tubes?

Your thoughts/ideas would be very much welcomed.

Simon.
Lest we forget that although we are waterproof, we are porous to nearly all forms of radiation and react with many chemicals, minerals and metals. The world doesn't owe us a living, but it owes us a life - Me
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds