Radslug is offline. Should be back online tonight (USA/PST)

More
6 years 2 months ago #3864 by Radslug
Well, so much for that idea. I ended up building a NAS out of the hardware instead after I came across a case of hot swap SATA/SAS trays.

Once we wired the bedrooms the kids started saturating the router built into the WiFi access point, so the DIY router is still my *next* project. I found this lovely miniITX celeron board with a built in mSATA slot (so no spinning platter HDD needed) & it's very happy with a surplus HP server dual NIC in the single card slot, even with a silent NanoPSU. So far testing indicates it should blow the doors off the little embedded router. I expect a few RadSlug outages when I first connect it till I get the tables right.

I'm also thinking of building out a BroHogan kit or two and donating them to schools. Might be a nice way to get more complete coverage here on the West Coast. There's a college in Eureka, CA and another in the middle of Oregon and countless community colleges in between...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #4859 by Radslug
Well, that was a nice uninterrupted run of reliable readings.

Our power had been out since Saturday 10/26/2019 due to a PG&E* "Safety Power Shutdown" but it's back on now. When I get home from work I'll boot up Radslug & get readings submitting again.

*PG&E is the primary electricity delivery company in California, USA north of say, Los Angeles. I could go on a rant about large scale intentional power outages but I need to watch my blood pressure.

More
4 years 5 months ago #4861 by FSM19
The schools idea sounds great to me, especially as I am a retired school teacher.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #5175 by Radslug
double post, no delete button.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Radslug. Reason: double post, my apologies.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5176 by Radslug
Radslug was down for all of Sunday, March 3rd but is back up now. The same long term, wide spread, cost-cutting lack of power grid maintenance that led to last fall's PG&E power outages also resulted in a power pole nearby falling over yesterday from...dry rot. And it happened to be the one that eventually supplies our street. Luckily it was early on a Sunday morning, I'd hate to think of what could've happened it if was today, as the street it's on is a major route for kids walking to elementary, middle, high school and the local community college.

Also, new project to be completed in the next week or so:

Our internet has been going down frequently the last few months, an average of 24 times each weekend between Saturday morning and Monday noon. So I'm building a small setup that will feed our home network with Internet electrons as a fallback to our usual ISP with pfSense handling the switchover. Cell modem + dual-yagi LTE antennas pointed at our only cell tower some distance away. Tests so far show it should get a minimum of 20 Gb/s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simomax

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #5469 by Radslug
The failover internet is in place and working nicely. I'm using a Netgear LTE modem and getting around 10-12 Mb/s in the middle of the house, but I think it's actually relaying off the repeater in the garage (we're also in a weak cell area).

At first I had a homebrew pfSense router cobbled from an old HP mini-desktop w/ 3x Gb NICs. It worked fine but used around 50w of power (USA 120v) 24/7. I'm now using a TP-Link multi-WAN router that sips power and was sooo much easier to set up. Nobody has noticed Comcast going down in the last few days, so I'm calling this a success.

Nearly all the parts for the twin Yagi's have arrived, so that's next weekend's project. I may end up putting the Netgear in the attic & feeding it with POE to keep the signal cables short.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSM19

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds