Station is back online

More
7 years 9 months ago #2289 by Bert490
After noticing low map values, I saw my detector had lost sensitivity in the past 24 hours. After opening the case to check things, it started working again. My kit detector did this once before, and that time it was the high voltage wire to one end of the GM tube. This time the wire is OK, so I don't know why it failed. it may be intermittent until I locate the issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2292 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Station is back online
too early in the morning, I clicked on like, not a good way to start a day....didn't mean too. I've always wondered how long the tubes will last, I had one of my spare units seem to be less sensitive after awhile. Could it be the tube and its gasses starting to dissipate or burn off?

More
7 years 9 months ago #2295 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Station is back online
The life of a GM tube caught my interest a little while back so I did some digging. Provided the tube is not damaged and the seals are good for the life of the tube the only factor in the lifespan would be the number of tube pulses that determines its life.
This is from Wikipedia :

The main component of the gas fill mixture is an inert gas such as helium, argon or neon, in some cases in a Penning mixture, and a "quench" gas of 5-10% of an organic vapor or a halogen gas to prevent multiple pulsing.[4] The halogen-filled G-M tube was invented by Sidney H. Liebson in 1947 and has several advantages over the tubes with older organic mixtures.[5] The halogen tube discharge takes advantage of a metastable state of the inert gas atom to more-readily ionize a halogen molecule than an organic vapor, enabling the tube to operate at much lower voltages, typically 400–600 volts instead of 900–1200 volts. It also has a longer life than tubes quenched with organic compounds, because the halogen ions can recombine while the organic vapor is gradually destroyed by the discharge process (giving the latter a life of around 108 events). For these reasons, the halogen-filled tube is now the most common.

Assuming the tube is the common SBM-20 and doing the following math assuming a background count of 20 CPM:
20 CPM per day totals 28800 tube pulses/day
This equates to 1051200 pulses/year

The specs for teh SBM-20 state 'at least 2*10^10 = 20000000000 (at least 20 billion pulses)
20000000000 / 1051200 pulses/year. = 19025.87 years

So, 19 Thousand years. I'm sure it would be less and I'm guessing the figures stated in the specs are in ideal and optimum conditions.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2296 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Station is back online
My guess this time is an intermittent contact somewhere. Disassembly and moving the tube seems to have restored it; I didn't even have to try my backup SBM-20. I can attest to long life for my old Electronic Goldmine LND-712 kit. I've used it intermittently for 20 years now.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2298 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Station is back online

I can attest to long life for my old Electronic Goldmine LND-712 kit. I've used it intermittently for 20 years now.

I'm currently building a portable counter using the LND-712 so thats good to hear Bert490!

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds