GQ GMC-320 Plus V4

More
7 years 11 months ago #2065 by bethsalem
GQ GMC-320 Plus V4 was created by bethsalem
I've been looking for a low-cost detector than I can take on my travels, and which can store data for later downloading/uploading, and with the prices dropping quite a bit, well at least in euro terms, the GQ GMC-320 V4 fits the remit perfectly.

Having used it for a few hours now I'm very impressed by it. :) The Li-ion battery is replaceable, it has a backlight, it's very customisable, it stores data, it can be used in realtime to upload data, the tube can be replaced, it can be powered from the mains or battery, it can be permanently fixed to a wall, it can be calibrated :cheer: , it's a perfect size and weight for travelling, it fits in a zip-lock bag easily to avoid contamination and water ingress, it comes with both car and home chargers and a data cable. I could go on.....

Brilliant! :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #2066 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic GQ GMC-320 Plus V4
That looks a lot of bang for your buck!

I've never really looked at any GQ GMCs further than the picture and a few details. For me personally I think the look of the counter lets it down. It really reminds me of an early digital FM receiver and I find it hard to shake that image! It does look a good counter though for sure with loads of features. After a brief look about it seems the M4011 tube is very similar to the SBM-20 in sensitivity. Some say the same as, other say the M4011 is just slightly less sensitive than the SBM-20. I think I'd like to get my hands on one now, but I have bought enough geiger related stuff lately!

Do you know if the tube is interchangable with the SBM-20? I suspect not as the M4011 is 88mm, 20mm shorter then the SBM-20.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #2067 by bethsalem
Replied by bethsalem on topic GQ GMC-320 Plus V4
I think there's enough room in the casing to fit a SBM-20, with a bit of modding you could fit and calibrate this tube.

Sure the decals make it look a bit like a toy, and it's not the toughest plastic case ever made, but for the money it's very good.

I think the M4011 tube is great for background and that what it's factory calibrated for. For testing high activity samples, I think it would struggle. I just want it for travelling to see changes in the general background radiation levels and to test rocks.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by bethsalem.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds