Corentium Canary Radon Detector

More
7 years 11 months ago #2041 by bethsalem
24 hours have now passed with the Canary monitoring the basement tool room.

The Radon level is 236 Bq/m3.

I will take another reading tomorrow, after 48 hours have passed.

I've spoken to my local council and they say that as my apartment building is an old, stone building, the Radon level has to be above 400 Bq/m3 for at least a month before they'll sanction any official investigation.

I would love to know the Radon levels in the air raid shelter that surrounds the building, I bet it's acting as a reservoir for the gas. Also, there is an old, dry well in a neighbour's garden which he says he's willing to open up for testing. The well is about 20 feet deep with stone and soil at the bottom. It's dry now as the spring that fed it was diverted to help eliminate dampness in some of the nearby houses. Again as it's connected by tunnels to other gardens, I suspect the Radon level will be pretty significant there too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #2042 by Gamma-Man
I have just completed a three month Radon measurement using trace film. The average was 320 Bq / m3.
Highest acceptable value set by the authorities in Sweden is 200 Bq / m3.

I am living on the groundfloor.

Carl

More
7 years 11 months ago #2044 by bethsalem
Hi Carl

Now that you have accurate figures are you going to take any measures to lower your Radon levels?

Stephen

More
7 years 11 months ago #2045 by bethsalem

24 hours have now passed with the Canary monitoring the basement tool room.

The Radon level is 236 Bq/m3.

I will take another reading tomorrow, after 48 hours have passed.

Now, after 48 hours the Radon level is 244 Bq/m3

I'm now moving the Canary to an office adjacent to the tool room. This office is only used a few times a year. I've reset it and I'll take my first reading after 24 hours.

More
7 years 11 months ago #2047 by Gamma-Man
I have contacted the house owner and I guess they will install some sort of evacueater with fan. I guess the Radon comes from the bricks in the walls and from the ground. As you can see from my outside placed detector readings are high all the time and the detector are placed at least 1 meter away from the brick wall so in my eyes the high readings outside comes from the ground. These readings are well confirmed with at least 4 other different detectors.

Carl

More
7 years 11 months ago #2048 by Bert490
In Canada the level also is 200 Bq/m3 "in the normal occupancy area" (occupied more than 4 hours per day). If the basement room is not such an area, there is no regulatory requirement to do anything. The WHO recommends limits be set from 100 to 300 Bq/M3.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds